Are you tired of regularly buying a new pair of headphones because the old one cannot withstand the constant wear and rough handling conditions? Do not worry.
The most durable headphones currently available in the market offer the excellent music experience you are looking for.
We discussed the importance of sound quality and questioned the headphones’ design regarding their comfortability upon long hours of usage more often. But most of the time, we forgot to ask about its durability, right?
Remember that the strength of your headphones decides their longevity. Having headphones with a fantastic sound may seem useless if you cannot use them more often and longer.
So, if you plan on buying new headphones for your favorite activity (sports, music, vlogging, etc.), we will provide you with guidelines to choose the right headphones for you.
Table of Contents
- Factors That Should Be Considered While Purchasing Headphones
- Most Durable and Rugged Headphones
- 1. Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro — Most Durable Wired Headphones
- 2. Sony WH-1000XM4 — Most Durable Noise Canceling Headphones
- 3. HyperX Cloud Orbit S — Most Durable Headphones for Gaming
- 4. Audio Technica ATH M50xBT — Most Durable Wireless Headphones
- 5. Symphonized Wraith 2.0 — Most Durable Headphones Under $100
- 6. Audio-Technica Ath-M20x — Most Durable Headphones Under $50
- 7. Jaybird Vista — Most Durable Headphones for Sports and Running
- 8. Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear Wireless Headphones — Most Durable Neckband Headphones
- 9. Sennheiser HD 300 Pro — Most Durable Headphones for Podcasting
- 10. LilGadgets Untangled Pro — Most Durable Headphones for Kids
Factors That Should Be Considered While Purchasing Headphones
When purchasing headphones, you have to balance several factors to have the right choice. We came up with some aspects you should consider:
- You should know what type of headphones are you looking for. Is it in-ear, on-ear, or over-the-ear?
- You should take into consideration the durability of the headphones you are about to purchase. Take note that durability does not mean strength alone and the ability to work correctly through constant wear and tear.
- The design and aesthetics should be a factor for you if you want it to be something extraordinary such as foldable headphones or extendable headphones. This might be easy to consider since you would know why you will need to purchase headphones in the first place. It is for your vlogging equipment, gaming, music or podcasting equipment, etc. Also, the design pertains to its comfortability. For instance, the comfort-level of headphones depends on the type of ear cups it has installed.
- You should factor in the overall performance and sound quality of headphones. Same with durability, what is the point of buying a headphone with the poor sound quality? Therefore, you must check the quality of its bass, mids, and trebles together with its noise-cancellation performance capability.
- The budget will be a great deal to consider for some, especially those on a tight budget.
Are you ready to purchase your new headphones?
Well, we do some research and come up with a shortlist of the TOP 10 picks for the most durable and rugged headphones available in the market today. This list will help you decide the right choice for headphones today.
Most Durable and Rugged Headphones
1. Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro — Most Durable Wired Headphones
This brand has a legacy for producing excellent build and sound quality headphones for a very long time now.
Hence, the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro makes it to our top pick list as the most durable wired headphones. These headphones are ideal for professionals who require extended hours wearing headphones.
It also caters to the casual users who have no huge budget yet love to enjoy the sound from a headphone while at home for a long time.
- The DT 1990 Pro offers two sets of earpads for balanced listening. You can quickly appreciate its overall build with its padded leather headband and removable cable placed on the bottom of its left ear cup. Headphones will not hurt your head with their lightweight of approximately 370 grams (0.81 lbs). Having two different earpads sets provides you with two sets of sounding experiences: neutral frequency response and slight bass boost.
- The DT 1990 Pro comes with two cables: a 3-meter straight cable and a 5-meter coiled cable. Both cables can be connected through the 3.5mm mini-jack, which includes a 6.5mm screw-on adapter.
- The sound performance of DT 1990 Pro highlights its bass providing users with excellent speed, depth, and slam. You will find it challenging to resist the urge to tap your toes with the music playing over your head with its incredible pace, rhythm, and timing.
- The open-back design makes it ideal for users at home or in the studio working on some serious analytical listening.
- Its single replaceable cable set-up seems handy for professional audio engineers.
- This requires a 250-ohm impedance and amp pairings to get its best sound quality.
- The bass and high overwhelms the mids sound, making it not ideal for jazz or vocal music.
2. Sony WH-1000XM4 — Most Durable Noise Canceling Headphones
Sony added new features such as multi-point pairing, DSEE Extreme upscaling, and a built-in sensor for auto-play/pause functions to Sony WH-1000XM4 to be considered the most durable noise-canceling headphones available today.
- Though Sony added new components to Sony WH-1000XM4, it still looks the same as its predecessors. But with its high-quality plastic build combined with supple pleather padding providing headphones with utmost durability and excellent comfortability while wearing them continuously for long hours.
- The highlight of the Sony WH-1000XM4 is its newly installed Sony QNe1 Processo. Combined with its Dual Noise Sensor technology installed on the two mics on each earcup, it provides excellent noise-canceling adjustments. This makes it different from other single noise-canceling algorithms of other headphones. These headphones can learn your geo-location access and apply the necessary level of noise-cancellation or ambient sound, depending on your location.
- Sony WH-1000XM4 comes with a built-in sensor on its earcup that will automatically pause music when you take off your headphones. It also develops a multi-point connection that lets you connect two devices at once with your Sony WH-1000XM4.
- Its battery life can last for 30 hours, with noise-canceling turned on, and can be fully charged quickly within three hours.
- Supports multiple Bluetooth codecs such as SBC, AAC, LDAC.
- Excellent noise canceling and sound quality.
- The price is kind of expensive.
- Not water-resistant so not ideal for fitness work-out or beach set-up.
3. HyperX Cloud Orbit S — Most Durable Headphones for Gaming
It offers amazing Audeze’s 100mm planar transducer drivers combined with Waves N x 3D audio technology for accurate sound positioning, creating highly realistic in-game audio.
With this, it makes the Cloud Orbit S the most durable headphones for gaming.
- The matte black finish of the cans and headbands of Cloud Orbit S are well-built and durable enough. At the same time, it provides a classic distinct appearance.
- The memory foam ear cushions provide comfort for extended hours of wearing them. The included cables and microphones are of high-quality and are also durable.
- The Cloud Orbit S highlights its 3D audio feature by having Waves Nx 3D Audio technology that provides 7.1 surround sounds like in video games. This 7.1 surround sound will bring you an exceptional music experience that makes you feel like your room has been completely filled with music. It also creates a 3D audio environment with head tracking capability.
- As a gaming headphones, it provides balanced sound with multiple EQ settings to choose from through its Hyper X Orbit software.
- The Cloud Orbit S creates excellent audio quality in different genres, such as game audio, music, podcast, etc. It works perfectly with Nintendo Switch, Xbox, and Playstation by connecting a 3.5mm cable as modern gaming headphones. Through its Type-C port connection, you can connect your PC, laptop, and smartphones efficiently.
- It has a detachable microphone that comes in handy when strategizing with your teammates or only voice chatting with your friends.
- Immersive 3D audio sound experience.
- Comfortable fit and durable enough for constant wear and tear.
- Its detachable microphone picks up voice clearly.
- Consoles audio offers only stereo sound output.
- It has no Bluetooth connection available.
4. Audio Technica ATH M50xBT — Most Durable Wireless Headphones
The Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT headphones are designed for rough and constant handling that offers high sound quality for the music sound experience.
Moreover, among the users, it is ranked as one of the most durable wireless headphones.
- The ATH-M50xBT headphones are installed with a pair of 45mm drivers producing a frequency response range from 15-20,000kHz.
- ATH-M50xBT headphones have Bluetooth 5 connectivity combined with AAC codecs that provide fast data transmission with your smartphone using low-energy power consumption.
- One of the ATH-M50xBT highlights is its massive battery capacity that can last for 40 hours of playback music – a perfect companion for traveling music professionals and enthusiasts.
- It makes your music sound much more realistic thanks to its speaker’s planar wavefront. Moreover, it can isolate noise pretty well, making it excellent headphones for commuters and travelers.
- Excellent battery life.
- Foldable design for storage.
- Warm and full bass sound performance.
- Heat prone device.
- Bluetooth connectivity sometimes is unstable.
5. Symphonized Wraith 2.0 — Most Durable Headphones Under $100
Needless to say that if you are looking for fashionable and durable headphones – this is a great pick. With its premium design and aesthetics, the Wraith 2.0 looks extraordinary and classy.
Hence, the Wraith 2.0 is assembled meticulously as strong and durable as possible, making it the most durable budget headphones priced below $100.
- The Symphonized Wraith 2.0 comes with three classic designs to choose from Cherry, Maple, and Walnut. These handcrafted headphones fit, thanks to their padded ear cushions comfortably.
- The highlight of the Symphonized Wraith 2.0 headphones is its superb sound quality performance, wherein you can play any music genre without worrying about its output.
- It is powerful enough to create a crisp acoustic sound that can take you virtually to the artist’s recording studio because of its wood design material.
- The noise isolation for headphones is excellent, blocking out other sounds except its tune. This is ideal for commuters who love to listen to music while traveling.
- Comfortable fit.
- Great sleek design.
- Exceptional sound quality and strong deep bass.
- Not suitable for users wearing eyeglasses.
- Require a high-quality audio source.
6. Audio-Technica Ath-M20x — Most Durable Headphones Under $50
With its ATH-MT20x, it promotes a budget-priced headphones custom-design for first-timers in-studio and DJ industry.
On the other hand, you could easily use these for any other activity like gaming, podcasting, music, and so on.
Hence, it is considered to be one of the most durable headphones priced below $50.
- The ATH-M20X headphones come with 40mm transducer drivers that can operate from a frequency response range of 15-20,000Hz.
- The ATH-M20x offers a decent amount of noise reduction. The comfort provided by its large wide earpads may seem to be uncomfortable after a few hours. This may seem like some of the things we missed because of its affordable price value.
- Its sound quality delivers an accurate representation of notes, making it a decent choice for music production individuals on a tight budget.
- The design is sturdy and lightweight.
- Mid-range and high-frequency boost sound well-balanced.
- Excellent neutral frequency response.
- Uncomfortable fit for wearing it for long hours.
- Unreplaceable cable connection.
- Noise-canceling capability could be better.
7. Jaybird Vista — Most Durable Headphones for Sports and Running
The Jaybird Vista offered comfort, excellent sound quality, and secured fitting for a true wireless earbud.
Its fully waterproof, sweatproof resistance and lightweight features make it the most durable headphones for running and sports for an affordable price.
- The Jaybird Vista headphones prove to be durable and usable for exercise, thanks to its IPX7 certification.
- It comes with three different sized ear tips and sport fins to keep it tightly secured on your ears. Hence, providing athletes and casual listeners with utmost comfortability and secured fitting.
- It also has a compact charging case that can easily fit your pockets.
- It produces a consistent 75db sound output and can last for 5.6 hours playback for a single charge.
- Fast-charging capability via USB-C.
- Reliable wireless connectivity.
- Super comfortable.
- Supports only SBC BlueTooth audio codec.
- The microphone picked up other sounds aside from your voice.
8. Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear Wireless Headphones — Most Durable Neckband Headphones
The Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 In-Ear wireless is the most durable neckband headphones ready to accompany you anywhere.
This neckband suits fashionable listeners and casual users who wanted top-tier neckband headphones for daily usage.
- The Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 In-Ear wireless offers a chic design and comfort fit with its neckband style. It comes with four sets of earbuds to guarantee your maximum comfort fit.
- It features Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity and high-quality apt-X Bluetooth audio.
- It offers an excellent battery life that can last for 10 hours of playback with its 170mAh battery, along with a 90-minute fully recharged capacity.
- In terms of sound performance, it can fill your ears with well-balanced sound quality. You can personalize sound through its associated app, which lets you have the perfect sound best for your ears.
- Excellent battery life.
- Well-rounded sound quality.
- No noticeable noise canceling, though.
- Seems uncomfortable for long hours.
9. Sennheiser HD 300 Pro — Most Durable Headphones for Podcasting
If you are looking for the best and most durable headphones to record your podcast, these are definitely your pick. No need to mention that Joe Rogan also uses that type of headphones for his podcasts. Sounds fair enough?
Sennheiser launched HD 300 PRO as a sturdy set of headphones meant for content creators doing podcasting and basically designed for monitoring and tracking purposes.
Its high-passive noise isolation feature comes in handy in loud environment conditions. Hence, making the HD 300 PRO one of the most durable headphones for podcasting.
- The HD 300 PRO is designed for comfort with its ear pad that acts as an excellent shield for outside noise.
- Its secure fit and lightweight design provide a comfortable listening experience for podcasters who used to wear for an extended period.
- It is designed to be durable enough for constant bending and twisting of its headband.
- Its detailed and linear reproduction responses make the HD 300 PRO perfect for podcasting.
- It comes with a super-cardioid boom microphone with a noise-canceling capacity to produce clear audio quality even in a noisy environment.
- It has a highly-sensitive transducer that produces high-resolution and neutral sound and creates a three-dimensional sound quality.
- Natural and well-balanced sound output.
- The sturdy and comfortable headband design.
- Detachable cables and replaceable.
- Does not work correctly with mobile devices.
- No volume control buttons on the cable and headphones.
10. LilGadgets Untangled Pro — Most Durable Headphones for Kids
Let’s start with the fact that it’s no secret that for kids is important to have durable devices, starting from cameras and ending with headphones, right?
Here’s the deal:
The LilGadgets Untangled Pro Wireless Bluetooth Headphones are custom designed for kids. In general, these are excellent and affordable, with their comfy, sturdy design making them the most durable headphone for kids.
- The LilGadgets Untangled Pro Wireless Bluetooth are stylish kids’ headphones available in 10 vibrant colors. It has a plastic body built combined with soft ear pads and a stainless-steel headband wrapped in breathable mesh material. This provides durability and a premium look.
- It comes with 40mm drivers responsible for producing rich bass sound output.
- It offers convenient connectivity called Shareport. This allows your kids to connect to their other devices to watch movies or listen to music through its wired or wireless connection.
- The headphone’s battery can last up to 12 hours of continued usage.
- Compatible with smartphones, tablets, and MP3 players.
- Lightweight, comfortable and durable design.
- No volume controls are available on headphones.
- They seem not to fit other kid’s head. Recommended up to 10 y. old.
We continuously use our headphones every day, whether for casual listening or as a professional tool that tests its durability for constant wear and tears. With our recommendations as mentioned earlier, you might find one that you might consider to be your own soon.
You should look for sturdy and durable headphones that could handle all types of challenging situations and constant active usage.
Keep in mind:
Being durable is not enough if it takes wearing or using the headphones to hurt or in pain after prolonged hours of wearing them. You should be comfortable with it.
Make sure that every pair of headphones you plan to buy has an excellent frequency response and, as much as possible, comes with all the latest audio technology to provide you with an overall excellent listening experience.
Remember to check for the following criteria for you to have the right headphones perfect for you and can last longer.
- Excellent Bluetooth connectivity.
- Durable and Sturdy design (material made with steel, hard plastic, or aluminum).
- Bendable and durable cords for wired headphones.
- Comfortable ear pads.
- Stereo quality sound.