Best Vlogging Lens – TOP 10 List (2021)
If you are a YouTuber or a vlogger and looking for an upgrade of your camera lens but not sure which are the best vlogging lens to invest in? This article might help you!
Yes, it is a bit tricky when it comes to choosing the camera lens for filming and making YouTube videos as there so many options.
This may bring about confusion on which lens to choose, thus making you waste your money on the wrong one.
We will walk you through some of the best lenses for creating vlogs for different cameras in 2021 and make sure you get the best of the best.
You also get to have more insight into what to look for before buying the lens, as well as the important features.
Table of Contents
- How to Buy Best Lenses for Vlogging?
- 10 Best Lenses for Vlogging
- Best Canon Lens for Vlogging
- Best Sony Lens for Vlogging
- Best Nikon Lens for Vlogging
- Best Panasonic Lens for Vlogging
- The Best DSLR Lens for Vlogging
- Important Features for Vlogging Lens
- Sensor Size:
- Lens Types:
How to Buy Best Lenses for Vlogging?
These are the main criteria’s and specs to look for before buying lenses for any kind of camera, including vlogging:
- Wide-angle zoom lens: This type of lens is able to capture wider images while staying close to the subject. If you are using an APSC sized sensor, let the lens be between 10mm-18mm, while for the Full Frame, choose the 16mm-35mm.
- Image stabilization: Go for lenses that keep your footage smooth even in tough or low light conditions. Anyway, if your camera has an image stabilization feature, this is also a solution.
- Large aperture: Since the aperture is an opening that allows light into the camera, go for a lens with a large aperture. This way, you can shoot decent photos even in darker places without even turning on the flash. Therefore, the aperture should probably range within 3.5 – 5.6.
- Autofocus: No matter the camera you are using, go for a fast and silent autofocus system. This will enable you to record precious moments without any background noises.
- Size and weight: Whether you are shooting handheld or a gimbal, a lighter lens will always benefit you. Therefore always check the weight of the lens before purchasing it.
- Compatibility: Since not all lenses are compatible with different cameras, it is wise you get one that allows you to upgrade the camera body without reinvesting in new lenses.
10 Best Lenses for Vlogging
Best Canon Lens for Vlogging
1. Canon EF-S 10-18mm
- Smooth and near-silent STM technology that enables you to record audio without making any noise.
- Awesome Image Stabilizer to prevent shaky footages.
- Super Spectra Coating which allows you to shoot more freely without worrying about unnecessary colors or low contrast.
- Lightweight and compact.
- 7 blade circular aperture for magnificent, soft backgrounds.
- Ultra-wide zoom lens perfect for APS-C digital cameras.
In general, one of the best lenses for vloggers using Canon sensor cameras, the Canon EF-S lens, is truly worth investing in.
With a wide-angle zoom lens, the Canon EF is specifically designed for APS-C sensor DSLR cameras.
Lightweight and compact, this particular lens is ideal for photographers as well as videographers on the move (vloggers).
What’s more, the lens is quite affordable compared to other lenses making it suitable for beginners.
2. Canon EF-S 24mm
- Slim and lightweight.
- Compatible with EOS digital SLRs.
- Simultaneously offers manual focus even when using autofocus mode.
- Effective coating.
- Has a rounded 7 blade diagraph perfect for focus quality.
Another great lens from Canon, the EF-S 24mm STM Lens, is slim and super lightweight compared to all other EFS series. It is compatible with all non-full frames Canon EOS digital SLRs such as 250D or 2000D, among others, thus making it ideal for street photography and videography.
Designed with a metal mounting plate, this particular lens has a special coating, which brings about improved contrast and color balance, especially in bright lighting environments.
Highly recommended by most of its users, the lens provides a 38-mm equivalent focal length, which offers a more broad variety of shooting. This surely makes it the best travel-friendly lens for vloggers on the move.
Best Sony Lens for Vlogging
3. Sony SELP 1650 16-50mm
- Great built-in OSS image stabilization.
- Incredibly smooth powered zoom with superb quietness.
- Minimum focus on breathing.
- Four Aspherical Elements.
To our editor’s mind, the Sony SELP 1650 16-50mm is the best vlogging lens for beginners who are using a Sony APSC camera in 2021.
A standard kit lens with a focal length of 16mm to 50mm, the setting is not super wide, but it’s okay for vloggers going for a low price range.
Ideal for travel or on-the-go vloggers, the lens is only 4.1 ounces making it the smallest zoom in Sony’s lens models.
However, despite its small size, the lens offers optical stabilization and quick, quiet autofocus.
Unfortunately, the lens is specifically designed for E-mount Sony cameras but not on A-mount ones. So hey, if you own an E-mount camera and are on a budget, then 16-50mm is a good starter option for you.
4. Sony SEL 1018 10-18mm
- Ultra-wide angle view ( APS-C) 109o to 76o
- Constant f/4 aperture for quite low light shots.
- The minimum focal length of 10mm.
- Optical SteadyShot that keeps handheld shots blur-free.
- Minimum focus distance.
Are you ready for a lens upgrade?
Sony SEL 1018 will be the perfect lens for you. With its ultra-wide zoom with amazing autofocus, you will get to capture super nice shots of yourself and surrounding.
Compact and lightweight the lens pairs well with Sony mirrorless cameras such as the a5100, a6000, a6300, NEX, and all of the A7s.
Although the lens has no dust or splash protection, there is a bit of curve where the glass sits deep enough in the barrel.
This enables you to use a 62 mm filter if need be. Keep in mind; the autofocus system is quiet, thus making shooting videos blissful.
Best Nikon Lens for Vlogging
5. Nikon AF-P 10-20mm
- Wide-angle view and close focusing that enables you to be creative with your subjects.
- The minimum focus distance of 0.8 feet that delivers beautiful photos and videos in any environment.
- Compact, lightweight and durable design that’s great for outdoor sessions
- Minimum autofocus stepping motor ideal for video indoors and outdoors recordings.
Do you own a DX Nikon DSLR camera such as d5300, d7000, or even the d7500?
Then Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR lens is a superb choice for you.
Weighing 230 grams (0.5 lb) the lens is lightweight, inexpensive with minimum autofocus making it great for all vloggers.
First of all, the image of the lens ensures you record amazing videos of landscapes, architecture, or even all types of interiors. What’s more, the photos will come out clear, making the lens absolutely worth your money.
Note that, although it is a great travel companion, the lens has no buttons, requiring you to use your camera switches.
However, this is not a deal-breaker for most people.
6. Nikon AF-S 10-24mm
- Silent wave motor for quick, accurate, and quiet autofocus performance.
- Incredibly fast lens ideal for indoors and outdoors environment as well as general photography.
- Close focusing on 0.8 feet for a creative perspective.
- One Aspherical Element which enables you to produce notable sharpness and image clarity.
Are you looking for an outstanding lens with the ability to fit more subjects in the frame?
A modern-day equivalent of the fast 15-36mm prime, the lens not only offers an amazing full-frame view but also you get a brighter viewfinder in dim light and blurred background.
Quite a strong performer, the lens is pretty small and light, although the barrel is hard polycarbonate and the lens mount is metal.
Compactible with any DX bodies, this particular lens perfect or scenery photos as well as close-ups.
Best Panasonic Lens for Vlogging
7. Panasonic Lumix 14-140mm
- Compact, lightweight, and durable dust and moisture-free resistant design.
- 14-140mm focal length.
- Power Optical Image Stabilizer that effectively compensates for small, fast movements, especially in dark environments.
- Micro Four Third System.
- The lens is pretty compact and lightweight, as it only weighs 265 g. (0.58 lb)
- Durable metal lens mounts for the maximum camera and lens security.
- AF system compatible with Lumix cameras
Designed with high-quality plastics, the lens comes sealed against dust and moisture. A popular lens among vloggers – Panasonic Lumix 14-140-mm has excellent image quality as it doubles in length.
In addition, it is great for photographers or vloggers who are always on the move as you don’t need to change lenses.
Don’t forget the lens is compatible with Micro Four Third mount cameras such as Panasonic Lumix GH5 S, Lumix G9, among others.
Also, they are compatible with Lumix G mirrorless digital cameras as well as Olympus cameras, therefore, making the lens a good choice for both beginners and expert vloggers.
8. Panasonic Lumix 7-14mm
- 2 aspherical and 4 extra-low dispersion lenses.
- Perfect HD video support.
- Designed for SLR cameras.
- Amazing image stabilization.
- Fast f/4.0 maximum aperture, which is great when working in difficult lighting conditions.
This lens looks like that were created for vloggers especially. It is very useful for YouTubers and vloggers especially in situations when they have to work in isolated and confined spaces. As a result with most ultra-wide lenses, it is super easy to use handheld.
Built with a plastic barrel but metal mount, the lens looks well-made considering the price. Apart from its compact and lightweight design, the lens has a large aperture that is great for photo and video recordings.
This enables the user to capture subjects without using a flash even in low light conditions.
Most noteworthy, the lens is also an excellent choice for YouTubers and vloggers.
The Best DSLR Lens for Vlogging
9. Sigma 17-50mm
- A large aperture standard zoom lens to provide a bright viewfinder image.
- Made for APS-C sized cameras.
- Compact and lightweight construction making it ideal for traveling.
- 2 glass mold and one hybrid aspheric lens.
- A wide range of focal lengths from 17mm with an angle view is 25.5-75mm, perfect for general photography or videography, as well as capturing landscapes and portraits.
- 7 rounded blade digraph that creates an attractive bokeh.
The first zoom lens made by Sigma to provide fixed maximum aperture and optical image stabilization, the Sigma 17-50mm standard zoom lens, does not disappoint. Designed for the APS-C-sized cameras, the lens is also compatible with some Nikon as well as Canon camera bodies.
Made from all-plastic construction, some parts are coated with Sigma’s rubberized coating, making the lens more durable. However, the lens is made of metal.
Unlike some lens that has no switches, this particular lens has two switches. One is to turn on/0ff the image stabilization while the other to enable or disable autofocus.
Perfect for indoors as we as outdoor activities, you get to capture magnificent landscapes, portraits, and even astrophotography.
10. Canon EF 16-35mm
- Amazing combination of wide-angle and low-light performance.
- Great optical image stabilizer.
- It has 3 aspheric lens elements and 2 UD lens elements to minimize aberrations throughout the zoom range.
- Super Spectra coating.
- It has a rounded 9-Blade Diaphragm.
The Canon EF 16-35mm is a very popular lens among vloggers and video makers due to its awesome specs.
Suitable for EOS and digital SLR cameras, the lens has a heavy construction design. Lens are mostly used with Canon 70D, 80D, 7D Mark II and etc.
As for its features, the wide-angle zoom range ensures the canon lens provides sharp and crystal images. The autofocus performance is superb as you get to focus clearly on a specific object, even from a distance.
Moreover, the lens has really nice features, like weather sealing which helps you film or take a photo in any kind of weather condition.
So, if you aren’t operating on a budget and want to make a long–term investment, then this might be one of the top lenses for vlogging.
Important Features for Vlogging Lens
We have written about specs to look for when buying the lens for a vlogging camera, right?
Now we will try to cover every single spec in detail.
No one wants to purchase the wrong lens. However, this can happen when you ignore the sensor size of lenses. For instance, bigger sensors are ideal for isolating a subject in focus while the rest of the image looks blurred.
On the other hand, a smaller sensor tends to struggle to isolate the subject unless you move it away or use a wider angle.
There are two main types of sensors, the Full Frame sensor and APSC that has a crop factor. Looking at the lens, each one has a focal length that indicates some millimeters. For instance, one may indicate 50mm or 10-18mm.
Unfortunately, the focal length of the lens is perfect for full-frame cameras. So, if you own an APS-C sensor size, then you need to work on some calculation.
Multiply your focal length indicated on your lens by either 1.5 or 1.6, depending on the camera you own. For example, a 50mm lens on an APSC sensor is 75mm (1.5x)-80mm (1.6x).
Photo by: Home Theatre Designs
Basically, a prime lens is where you aren’t able to increase or decrease the focal length.
In short, the focal length covers a certain distance, which can be anywhere between 12mm and 5200mm. Note that the word “zoom” at this point does not mean see further away from it; just the focal length remains the same.
Keep in mind, the biggest benefit of using the prime lens is that the wider apertures allow more light, thus enabling you to shoot even in dark places.
Unlike the prime lens, the Zoom lens allows focal length can be magnified. In other words, you can adjust the focal length within a specific range, therefore enabling you to zoom in or out.
This simply means making the view narrower or wider. Note that although the zoom lens is not as sharp as a prime lens, you can change the angle of the view quickly and without changing the lenses.
Basically, the focal length is the distance between the point of convergence of your lens and your sensor.
Measured in millimeters like 10-18mm, smaller numbers mean the lens is wider, which produces more scenes in the shot or video, while the larger numbers have narrow angles of view and show less.
Another important feature of the vlogging lens, the aperture is usually an opening that allows light into the camera.
This simply means it is like the black pupils of your eyes that let light in. Indicated on the side of the lens, the aperture comes with f-numbers such as f/1.4, 2.8, 4, among others. It is good to note that the numbering system might be a bit confusing to a novice.
The smaller numbers indicate a larger aperture, while larger numbers stand for smaller openings.
Also, when it comes to its uses, it is possible to reduce or increase the size of the aperture. This allows more or less light to reach the camera sensor.
What’s more, it can add dimension to your images by controlling the distance of your images. Most noteworthy, when capturing photos, you should know that a wide opening (aperture) will allow a lot of light, thus resulting in bright and clear photography or videography.
On the other hand, a small aperture will pass a limited amount of light, making the photo darker.
Photo by: Amanda Herbert
In today’s digital world, no vlogger wants to produce a shaky video and that’s why it is important to choose a lens with image stabilization.
The lens inbuilt system uses a floating lens element that electronically moves to prevent any camera shakiness.
On the other hand, you also get to capture sharp images of still subjects at a slower speed.
Although some vloggers might assume the autofocus feature when purchasing a lens, it is very important to find the right one.
Most cameras don’t have autofocus motors inside their bodies, therefore, leaving you to rely on tiny motors built into the lenses.
These motors are controlled by the camera itself, thus making it essential to choose a lens that is compatible with the lens autofocus feature.
As you can see, there is a variety of lenses in the market. Nonetheless, it has been our pleasure to share with you the TOP 10 best vlogging lens of 2021 for almost all cameras.
Also, we hope the buying guide, as well as the important features, will help you out in choosing the best lenses for your videos or photography.
All you need to do is check out the brand of your camera as well as your vlogging specialty and you are good to go. Don’t forget to check out the important features of the vlogging lens, as this will help you decide which lens to purchase.