Knowing the meaning of what is a vlog and vlogging is necessary nowadays! I can bet that you have already heard the saying ‘vlogging’ or ‘vlog’; otherwise, you wouldn’t check the meaning, correct?
Moreover, if you have children or friends in your environment who are addicted to new technologies, you might know something about vlogging as a process.
So, let’s dive deep into the term ‘vlogging’ and what is a vlog in general?
Table of Contents
- What is a Vlog?
- What is Considered a Vlog?
- What is The Definition of a Vlog?
- What is a Vlogger?
- Who Was the First Vlogger?
- Vlogging in Nowadays
- Why Vlogs Became so Popular Among People?
- Should you Start a Vlog? PROS and CONS of Vlogging
- Is it Possible to Earn Money from Vlogging?
- YouTube Vlogging Awards
- All in All:
What is a Vlog?
Vlog stands for a video blog. In other words, vlogging is an activity that is used to document a person’s life.
It has the same purpose as the standard website blog does, but it’s provided in video format.
In general, vloggers share various YouTube videos, including storytelling, informative footage, or even beautiful views from their trips or daily life on the internet (mainly on the YouTube platform).
What is Considered a Vlog?
Here’s the deal:
The vlog and the vlogging processes have a few clear definitions that classify your video as a vlog.
- Recording videos and Yourself telling some stories in front of the camera.
- Trying to build a connection with the viewers of your video.
- Preparing a plan of what you are going to film and show to your audience.
What is The Definition of a Vlog?
Vlog has just a few definitions that depend on the situation you are going to use it.
- The word vlog (noun) could be used to refer to an individual video. For instance, “I watched your vlog.”
- Also, it could be used as a noun to refer to the particular video channel where a person uploads his personal videos, for example. “Please subscribe to my vlog.”
- The last definition of a vlog could be used as a verb that shows the action of vlogging. A perfect example, “I’m going to vlog all day.”
What is a Vlogger?
A vlogger is a person who films and edits footage for his vlog.
In other words: a vlogger is meaning of a person who blogs, but instead of writing, he does vlog videos.
Basically, everyone can be a vlogger:
If you love:
- Playing video games
- Share your impressions and thoughts about something important
- Montage video clips
- Live actively
- Have other activities that can be easily filmed
You can be named and described as a vlogger if you film what you do and what you like most and will upload your video on YouTube.
Most people love being vloggers because they are becoming more familiar and popular among people. Your video could reach millions of viewers from all over the world, and a part of them will remember your face in the future.
A lot of well-known people became popular just because they started a vlogger career just at the right time by having great ideas! The thing is that it is not too late also!
Keep in mind, the video blogging process could add some magical moments to your life.
I hope you got the information on what a vlog is and a clear definition of a vlogger is, but let’s move on to the next paragraph!
Who Was the First Vlogger?
The first Vlogger and pioneer of vlogging was a guy from South Carolina, Nelson Sullivan.
Believe me or not, but the very first vlog came out in the early 80s when nobody knew the meaning of vlogging and what a vlog is. Vlogging was a new niche that was been established for more than 25 years!
Actually, the most popular video platform, “YouTube,” didn’t exist at that time as well.
As a matter of fact, vloggers nowadays are like celebrities, more or less, but back in the 1980s, many people were shocked when they were seeing a person standing in public places and talking in front of the camera.
Clearly, Nelson Sullivan was the first Daily Vlogger who made tons of daily video blogs from NY. He shot over 1900 hours of raw footage over 7 years period! He was using first the VHS-loading camera, and after some years, he upgraded it to an 8mm camera.
According to that, I may add one amazing Nelson video blog from McDonald’s when he was on the road trip from Atlanta to South Carolina, and during this trip, he stopped at McDonald’s to grab some lunch.
Unfortunately, Nelson Sullivan died of a heart attack at the age of 41. Who knows, if he would still be alive, maybe we would have been even more popular than most famous YouTubers nowadays?
Vlogging in Nowadays
Did you know that YouTube step-by-step is becoming the number 1 search console on the internet?
This will make vlogging 10x better activity in the future!
YouTube has reached all-time high popularity, and vlogging follows it. Besides it, vloggers are the new rock stars of the 21st century. The graph down below the sentence clearly shows the trend of vlogging.
The trend of vlogging (from 2004)
Finally, people choose what to watch, what kind of information they want to get from YouTube videos, and so on. It is all about vlogging because it takes video clips and TV shows to a new level!
It gets better:
Nowadays, everyone can create a video blog and be a vlogger!
Let’s say that you don’t have a budget to purchase the right camera for vlogging, you could take your smartphone from your pocket and start filming easily.
Believe me, if you want to try out making vlogs, for the starters, smartphones or cheap cameras are more than enough.
Why Vlogs Became so Popular Among People?
In practice, TV is like a huge shark that releases and shows what do they want. Moreover, they have tons of agreements and rules on how actors should behave on TV, how they should talk on TV, and so on.
Needless to say, to have a TV Show and to be the main host of it requires a lot of success and connections. Otherwise, it’s almost impossible to be part of it.
That’s why people love vlogs!
A vlog could be described as a free and open way to create your TV Show.
Vlogging became so popular among people because of the freedom to create video content. Viewers noticed that a lot of ordinary people who have their daily jobs started vlogging and creating their shows very successfully.
This success involved more and more people every single day to be a part of it and start creating their Vlogs.
Should you Start a Vlog? PROS and CONS of Vlogging
Vlogging, like every single activity, has its advantages and disadvantages so far.
So, let’s check the PROS and CONS of Vlogging.
- Freedom to express creativity
- No outlined rules and terms
- A revolutionary method to reach out to millions of people
- Decent income
- Time-consuming activity
- Concern for privacy
- Feeling self-conscious
All in all, the biggest challenge and disadvantage of vlogging and the vlog for a lot of people is the fear of vlogging in public or speaking in front of a camera. It requires some time to get over it.
Is it Possible to Earn Money from Vlogging?
This is the most common question about vlogging.
To be honest, I noticed that usually, when people ask what is a vlog and when they get the answer, the second question is, is it possible to earn money from vlogging?
Vlogging could be an extremely profitable activity. A lot of vloggers have already made tons of money for living without expectation but with hard work and a lot of effort!
We have already reviewed all possible ways of monetizing your own vlog on YouTube, you can read them by clicking here.
YouTube Vlogging Awards
Because vloggers became 21st-century rock stars, how can we skip vlogging awards?
This is crazy:
There are 3 official ways and many, not formal methods how and where you can be nominated and also win awards by being a vlogger.
The whole world is addicted to social media platforms, including YouTube and Vlogging, as one phenomenon.
People who are taking part in the vlogging sector could be honored as vloggers officially in 3 separate ways.
- Shorty Awards: These awards have very different nominations from social media, including Instagram, Tumblr, or YouTube. Nominees usually take part somewhere on social media by publishing video content, and they could be awarded.
- Vidcon: It is the most significant event for YouTube creators and vloggers from all over the world. It started in 2010 and last until now every year. Vidcon is an event dedicated to sharing vlogging ideas, finding new connections, educating, celebrating, and receiving awards. Usually, Vidcon is hosted in Los Angeles, but it has some additional events through the years in other world continents.
- YouTube Awards: If you know what a vlog is, you probably know what YouTube Awards are. It is the most popular type of awards that are going to be received when you will hit these numbers of channel subscribers.
Silver: 100,000 Subscribers
Gold: 1,000,000 Subscribers
Diamond: 10,000,000 Subscribers
All in All:
Now you know the definition of a vlog and what vloggers do.
Here’s the deal:
If you want and planning to start vlogging, make sure that you have a decent device that records videos at least in Full HD (1920x1080) quality. It could be a mobile device or vlogging camera. We highly recommend the flip screen camera because for many vloggers is the most suitable device.