TOP 5 Best Travel Vlogging Cameras 2020
Travel vlogging is a great way to explore the world and share your journey and experience with other people and create amazing content.
Besides, you will have all those memories recorded and saved, just in case if you would wish to see them in the future.
For these reasons, you need the best possible camera with the best quality for this journey.
Due to this, we have analyzed what are the best travel vlogging cameras in 2020.
In this guide, you will find out what you should look for in a travel-friendly camera and some of the TOP 5 cameras for this type of vlogging that might suit your needs.
We can say that there are a lot of options that you can choose, so try to find out every single detail of a camera that you might need.
Table of Contents
- Best Travel Vlogging Cameras
- 1. Canon PowerShot G7X Mark III – Best Travel Vlogging Camera for All Kind of Trips
- 2. Sony a5100 – Pocket-Friendly Superb Camera for Travelers
- 3. GoPro HERO 8 Black – Best Action Vlogging Camera for Travelers
- 4. Olympus Tough TG-6 – Best Vlogging Camera for Adventurous Travelers
- 5. Sony CyberShot RX100 – Best Budget Travel Vlogging Camera
- Key Features for Travel Vlogging Camera
Best Travel Vlogging Cameras
All listed traveling vlogging cameras were tested by experienced travelers.
|Name||Video quality||Flip screen||Microphone||Image stabilization||Check|
Canon PowerShot G7X Mark III - Editor's Choice
|UHD 4K30p||3.0" Tilting Touchscreen LCD||Built-in + Mic. Jack||Yes|
|1080/24/60P||Tiltable LCD screen||Built-in||Yes|
|4K Ultra HD Video||No||Built-in + Extension||Yes|
1. Canon PowerShot G7X Mark III – Best Travel Vlogging Camera for All Kind of Trips
Needless to say that this version is an upgrade of the most popular camera for vlogging Canon PowerShot G7X Mark II.
The PowerShot G7X Mark III measures only 2.4 x 4.1 x 1.6″ and perfectly fits into almost every pocket. The camera uses a new sensor that features fast autofocus.
Besides, the camera can shoot in RAW format at 30fps. The G7 X Mark III uses a 1″ 20MP sensor with DIGIC 8 processor that provides excellent point-and-shoot experience. The camera offers not only a 1080p Full HD video shooting.
It gets better:
If you set the Mode dial, you would get additional options, including 4K video quality.
The device has been well-built and sits comfortably in hand. The is a grip and rubber points for the security, so you won’t be dropping the camera that easily. It is lightweight and offers a comfortable filming experience.
|Canon PowerShot G7X Mark III Digital 4K Vlogging Camera, Vertical 4K Video Support with Wi-Fi, NFC...||CHECK THE PRICE|
- Sensor – 20.1MP BSI 1-inch stacked CMOS sensor
- Lens – 24-100mm f/1.8-2.8
- Screen – 3″ tilting touchscreen
- Viewfinder – no
- Continuous Shooting – 20fps, 30fps in Raw mode
- Video resolution – 4K and Full HD 1080p
- Battery – 265 shots + 30-40 mins of recording
- Dimensions – 105.5 x 60.9 x 41 mm (4.13 x 2.39 x 1.61 inches)
- Weight – 304 g (0.67 lbs)
- Sturdy build quality and comfortable handling
- Responsive AutoFocus and Face Detection feature
- Clear tiltable touchscreen
- The excellent Image Stabilization feature
- 4K movie resolution
- No hotshoe or cold shoe for external accessories
2. Sony a5100 – Pocket-Friendly Superb Camera for Travelers
Sony a5100 is one of the TOP world’s smallest cameras that offers an interchangeable lens. Also, it provides a 24.3MP Exmor CMOS sensor combined with a Fast Hybrid AF system.
The Bionz X image processor ensures that you have the fantastic 1080p Full HD video quality with sharp and detailed images. The a5100 camera also comes with 3″ tiltable touchscreen – a useful feature for all types of vloggers.
Besides, you won’t have to worry about battery life as this camera can last up to 400 shots and record approx 30-40 mins of video footage.
If you are looking for the best camera for making vlogs during your trip, the Sony a5100 could be your best choice. A significant Fast Hybrid AutoFocus system allows the camera to track moving objects and keep them in focus. It means that you can be easily vlogging your journey while on-the-go.
The Sony a5100 is stated to be one of the best mid-range cameras for capturing moving objects.
|Sony a5100 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 3-Inch Flip Up LCD - Body Only (Black)||CHECK THE PRICE|
- Sensor – 24MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
- Lens – Sony E lens mount
- Screen – 3″ tiltable touchscreen
- Viewfinder – no
- Continuous Shooting – 6fps
- Video resolution – 4K and Full HD 1080p
- Battery – 400 shots + 30-40 mins of recording
- Dimensions – 110 x 63 x 36 mm (4.3 x 2.48 x 1.4 inches)
- Weight – 283 g (0.62 lbs)
- Tilting touchscreen that allows you to see yourself while vlogging
- Built-in Wifi connectivity for faster and easier data transfer
- Excellent Fast Hybrid AF system that allows the camera to track moving objects
- The camera doesn’t have an EVF
- Although it has a touchscreen, the controls are limited
- No mic jack input
3. GoPro HERO 8 Black – Best Action Vlogging Camera for Travelers
Are you looking for a device that you would be able to film every step of your travel even in extreme conditions?
Well, Hero 8 action camera allows you to do that. It has a slimmer design compared to previous GoPro models, so it would be comfortable to pack and travel. Besides, it has a foldable built-in mount for easier handling.
Also, don’t worry about your audio quality – GoPro Hero 8 Black camera comes with a new wind-resistant microphone that will provide the best sound quality possible for that type of camera.
Furthermore, the GoPro Hero 8 Black camera comes with an updated HyperSmooth 2.0 technology that improves image stabilization. As a result, you will have a smooth and steady video, even if you are running.
As for the video resolution, the GoPro Hero 8 Black offers 4K stabilized video quality, which will make your travel vlogs stand out.
However, there is a minor drawback:
Although the GoPro brand is releasing new action cameras, the LCD screen seems like staying in the place. It is the same basic screen which is becoming too small.
|GoPro HERO8 Black - Waterproof Action Camera with Touch Screen 4K Ultra HD Video 12MP Photos 1080p...||CHECK THE PRICE|
- Sensor – 12MP sensor
- Lens – SuperView, Wide, Linear, Narrow
- Screen – 3″ Intuitive LCD touchscreen
- Viewfinder – n/a
- Stabilisation – HyperSmooth 2.0
- Video resolution – 4K60, 2.7K120, 1080P240
- Battery – approx. 80 minutes of video recording
- Dimensions – 66.3 x 48.6 x 28.4 mm (2.6 x 1.91 x 1.1 inches)
- Weight – 126 g (0.27 lbs)
- A new Hero 8 design doesn’t require any special housing mounts, and it comes with a built-in mount
- Superior image stabilization which delivers smooth and steady 4K video
- Waterproof, shockproof and dust-resistant
- The action camera can get very hot while recording a video
- Same old LCD touchscreen that could be bigger
4. Olympus Tough TG-6 – Best Vlogging Camera for Adventurous Travelers
For this reason, we are offering a solidly built Olympus Tough TG-6 camera. We can say that this camera is “everything-proof,” and it is essential to have that type of device for travel vlogs.
The camera comes with a 12MP 1/2.3″ sensor, which is smaller than the TG-4 model that has 16MP + 4K and full HD recording video quality.
However, having fewer pixels means that your camera will be better in low lighting or when you are shooting underwater. As we mentioned, The TG-6 camera can shoot at 4K at 30fps and 1080p up to 120fps.
- Sensor – 12MP 1/2.3-inch sensor with raw and JPEG shooting
- Lens – 25-100mm, f/2-4.9
- Screen – 3″ 1,040K dots
- Viewfinder – n/a
- Continuous Shooting – 20fps
- Video resolution – 4K/30fps
- Battery – 340 shots, approx. 10 minutes of video recording in 4k and 30 minutes in Full HD
- Dimensions – 66.04 x 111.76 x 33.02 mm (2.6 x 4.4 x 1.3 inches)
- Weight – 126 g (0.27 lbs)
- An internally stacked lens that adds more security
- Raw image shooting and 4K video recording
- The camera is sturdy and strong
- Image quality could be better while filming in bright lighting
- No electronic viewfinder
5. Sony CyberShot RX100 – Best Budget Travel Vlogging Camera
It features a 1″ 20MP sensor combined with 28-100mm/ f1.8-4.9 Zeiss lens. It is perfect for travel vlogging as the camera offers 1080p Full HD video resolution. The CyberShot RX100 camera also offers a RAW shooting mode and includes full manual control over the settings.
If we talk about the design, RX100 comes in a sleek and smooth body. It is made out of sturdy plastic and metal frame. It is small and lightweight, so it makes the device super travel-friendly for a very low price!
|Sony RX100 20.2 MP Premium Compact Digital Camera w/ 1-inch sensor, 28-100mm ZEISS zoom lens, 3”...||CHECK THE PRICE|
- Sensor – 1″ 20.2MP Exmor™ CMOS Sensor
- Lens – 28-100mm f/1.8-4.9
- Viewfinder – no
- Continuous Shooting – 6 fps
- Movie resolution – 1080p Full HD
- Battery – 400 shots + 30 mins of recording
- Dimensions – 121 x 63.5 x 40.6 mm (4.8 x 2.5 x 1.6 inches)
- Weight – 283 g (0.625 lbs)
- The DSLR-styled sensor in a pocket design body
- Excellent image quality in low lighting
- Fast and precise AF feature
- Smooth and high-quality video
- There is no input for external accessories, so you won’t be able to plug an external microphone
Key Features for Travel Vlogging Camera
A camera that has high-quality video will deliver a lot of views of your travel vlog, that is for sure!
There are a lot of options that you can choose: 720p HD, 1080p Full HD, and even 4K Ultra HD video quality. Well, if you want to have an excellent video resolution, we suggest having a camera that provides at least 1080p Full HD video quality.
If you are looking for the best camera for travel vlogging, it should be lightweight and easy to carry around.
DSLR cameras might have the best video quality and image stabilization feature, however, they are heavy and bulky.
Keep in mind, if the camera is small and compatible – it is travel-friendly. It should be easy to pack and should be a point-and-shoot type of camera. Some people like to use SLRs and even smartphones for vlogging.
A lot of vloggers like when their camera has a tiltable screen (flip-screen).
If your camera has this feature, you can make sure that you are always in focus. Also, if you look messy, you can see that immediately. Having a vari-angle LCD screen is useful when you are a vlogger.
Well, this feature is useful to have, not only in travel-friendly cameras. The AF means that you don’t have to worry about focusing your face.
Besides, autofocus allows you to point-and-shoot and always maintain autofocusing while filming. No more blurry videos!
Here’s the deal:
While traveling, you will be moving a lot, right? Do yourself a favor and get a camera that has great image stabilization feature. It ensures that your video will be smooth and steady, even if you are running up a mountain.
Besides, if you wish, you can get a tripod for vlogging, which will make camera handling way easier.
A good travel vlog is not only about video quality. If you want to explain where you are traveling and sightseeing, then you should have a high audio quality.
Sometimes, it is not enough to have a great built-in microphone (windy or rainy days, noisy and crowded places). If your camera has an audio input, you can easily connect an external microphone for better audio quality.
Well, this is a not common feature that most of the travel vloggers are looking; however, it is super useful.
Image if you are traveling near the water (sea, ocean, or a lake). Having a waterproof camera, or at least a case for it means that you don’t have to worry about getting your camera wet. You can even go snorkeling or surfing with a camera and record your experience.
It would surprise you how a camera with a rugged design helps for travel vlogging.
Imagine yourself climbing up a mountain and vlogging your emotions, and suddenly, you drop your camera, and it cracks or brakes. Your vlog is lost, and you won’t be able to record anymore.
Well, with a robust and rugged design, you would be safe that drooping a camera won’t affect your traveling.
If you are choosing a travel vlogging camera, you should know what type of features you are looking for. The main criteria are that the device needs to be lightweight and easy-to-use.
You don’t want to waste a lot of backpack space and carry a bulky DSLR to have that perfect quality. As you can see from this guide, there are a lot of small compatible cameras with a 4K movie resolution and excellent image stabilization.
- If you are more like a super adventurous traveler, the GoPro Hero 8 Black or Olympus Tough TG-6 cameras would be the best option for the waterproof and shockproof features.
- If you want to record your trip most simply, the point-and-shoot cameras are what you should look for.
We hope that you like this guide and now you know how to choose the best cameras for travel vlogging.