Most of the popular vloggers and YouTube channels are about travel. These vlogs are usually extremely active and developers often do not need an extra vlogging camera.
Most of these creators separately use vlogging cameras for traveling for a number of reasons, including extra camera capabilities, extra battery life, a different shooting angle, quality, and the convenience of the camera itself.
This post reviews the best travel vlogging cameras that can be used as additional or main.
Table of Contents
- Best Cameras for Travel Vloggers
- 1. Canon PowerShot G7X Mark III – TOP Travel Vlogging Camera for All Kinds of Trips
- 2. Sony a5100 – Budget-Friendly Superb Camera for Travelers
- 3. GoPro HERO 10 Black – Best Action Vlogging Camera for Travelers
- 4. Olympus Tough TG-6 – Best Vlogging Camera for Adventurous Travelers
- 5. Canon EOS M10 – Perfect Streamlined Entry-Level Travel Camera
- Key Features for Travel Vlogging Camera
Best Cameras for Travel Vloggers
|Name||Video quality||Flip screen||Microphone||Image stabilization||Check|
Canon PowerShot G7X Mark III - Editor's Choice
|UHD 4K/30p||3.0" Tilting Touchscreen LCD||Built-in + Mic. Jack||Yes|
|Full HD 1080 at 24/60p||Tiltable LCD screen||Built-in||Yes|
|5.3K at 60p||Front screen||Mic. Adapter||Yes|
|Full HD 1080 at 24/30p||Yes||Built-in||Yes|
1. Canon PowerShot G7X Mark III – TOP Travel Vlogging Camera for All Kinds of Trips
This version is an upgrade of the most popular camera for vlogging Canon PowerShot G7X Mark II. So if you are on the budget, you could check that one too.
The PowerShot G7X Mark III measures only 2.4 x 4.1 x 1.6″ and perfectly fits into almost every pocket. The camera uses a new sensor that features fast autofocus.
Besides, the camera can shoot in RAW format at 30 fps. The G7 X Mark III uses a 1″ 20MP sensor with DIGIC 8 processor that provides an excellent point-and-shoot experience. The camera offers not only a 1080p Full HD video shooting.
It gets better:
If you set the mode dial, you will get additional options, including 4K quality.
The device is well-built and sits comfortably in hand. The is a grip and rubber points for security, so you won’t drop the camera that easily. It is lightweight and offers a comfortable filming experience.
- Sensor – 20.1MP BSI 1-inch stacked CMOS sensor
- Lens – 24-100mm f/1.8-2.8
- Screen – 3″ tilting touchscreen
- Viewfinder – no
- Continuous Shooting – 20 fps, 30 fps in Raw mode
- Video resolution – 4K and Full HD 1080p
- Battery – 265 shots + 30-40 mins of recording
- Dimensions – 105.5 x 60.9 x 41 mm (4.13 x 2.39 x 1.61 inches)
- Weight – 304 g (0.67 lbs)
- Sturdy build quality and comfortable handling
- Responsive AutoFocus and Face Detection feature
- Clear tiltable touchscreen
- The excellent Image Stabilization feature
- 4K movie resolution
- No hot shoe or cold shoe for external accessories
2. Sony a5100 – Budget-Friendly Superb Camera for Travelers
Sony a5100 is one of the world’s smallest cameras that offers an interchangeable lens. Also, it provides a 24.3MP Exmor CMOS sensor combined with a Fast Hybrid AF system.
The Bionz X image processor ensures fantastic 1080p Full HD quality with sharp and detailed images. The a5100 camera also comes with a 3″ tiltable touchscreen – a useful feature for all types of vloggers.
Besides, you won’t have to worry about battery life as this camera can last up to 400 shots and record approx 30-40 mins of video footage.
If you are looking for the best camera for making vlogs during your trip, the Sony a5100 could be your best choice. A significant Fast Hybrid AutoFocus system allows the camera to track moving objects and keep them in focus. It means that you can easily vlog your journey while on the go.
The Sony a5100 is stated to be one of the best mid-range cameras for capturing moving objects.
- Sensor – 24MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
- Lens – Sony E lens mount
- Screen – 3″ tiltable touchscreen
- Viewfinder – no
- Continuous Shooting – 6 fps
- Video resolution – 4K and Full HD 1080p
- Battery – 400 shots + 30-40 mins of recording
- Dimensions – 110 x 63 x 36 mm (4.3 x 2.48 x 1.4 inches)
- Weight – 283 g (0.62 lbs)
- Tilting touchscreen that allows you to see yourself while vlogging
- Built-in Wifi connectivity for faster and easier data transfer
- Excellent Fast Hybrid AF system that allows the camera to track moving objects
- The camera doesn’t have an EVF
- Although it has a touchscreen, the controls are limited
- No mic jack input
3. GoPro HERO 10 Black – Best Action Vlogging Camera for Travelers
Even though GoPro Hero 11 Black is already on the market, we still highly recommend the Hero 10 Black if you are looking for an affordable, action, compact and pocket camera at the same time while traveling.
With GoPro cameras being a leading brand of action cameras, it’s no secret they had to go bigger and better with their latest model the GoPro Hero 10 Black.
Solid built with waterproof capability, the Hero 10 Black will be perfect for your travel adventures whether Mountain climbing or diving in the sea. The semi-hard case that comes with the camera is also awesome as you can keep your GoPro camera safe while still having space for other travel accessories.
Another incredible feature is the class-leading Hypersmooth 4.0 image stabilization which can capture smooth, steady videos in any weather. Its horizontal leveling and motion stabilization is top-notch as it will ensure your footage stays stable even in harsh situations.
In addition, the camera captures a 5.3K video resolution which records at an incredible 60 fps as well as 4K at 120 fps in case you want to shoot videos in slow motion. The 23.6 megapixels is also impressive as it enables the resolution to produce visible photos and videos alike.
Here is the best part:
Apart from the front touchscreen display that is great for filming your traveling vlogs, the Hero 10 comes with a back touch screen that is super responsive.
The built-in microphone is excellent too and should be more than adequate when recording your travel vlogs.
The Wi-Fi connectivity makes it easy to transfer your videos and photos to your smartphone. However, if you can’t access Wi-Fi, you have the ability to hardwire your GoPro to your smartphone via a USB cable and transfer your videos and photos in a second.
- Sensor – 23MP Sensor
- Lens – SuperView, Wide, Linear, Narrow
- Screen – 2.27″ Fixed LCD touchscreen
- Stabilization – HyperSmooth 4.0
- Video resolution – 5.3K60,4K 120, 2.7K 240 and 1080p 240
- Battery – 56 minutes of video recording in 5.3K/60 and 76 minutes in 4K/60
- Dimensions – 71.8 x 50.8 x 33.6 mm (2.8 x 2.0 x 1.3 inches)
- Weight – 153 g (0.33 lbs)
- Fixed touchscreen that allows you to see yourself while vlogging
- Beautiful, Small, pocket-sized camera
- Powerful GP2 processor
- Superior image stabilization which delivers smooth and steady 5.3K at 60
- New Hydrophobic lens coating
- Live-streaming feature
- The same small sensor as the GoPro Hero 9
- Overheats in high frame rates
- Short battery life
4. Olympus Tough TG-6 – Best Vlogging Camera for Adventurous Travelers
For this reason, we offer a solidly built Olympus Tough TG-6 camera. We can say that this camera body is “everything-proof,” and it is essential to have that type of device for travel vlogs.
The camera comes with a 12MP 1/2.3″ sensor, which is smaller than the TG-4 model that has 16MP + 4K and full HD recording quality.
However, having fewer pixels means that your camera will be better in low lighting or when you are shooting underwater. As we mentioned, The TG-6 camera can shoot at 4K at 30 fps and 1080p up to 120 fps.
- Sensor – 12MP 1/2.3-inch sensor with raw and JPEG shooting
- Lens – 25-100mm, f/2-4.9
- Screen – 3″ 1,040K dots
- Viewfinder – n/a
- Continuous Shooting – 20 fps
- Video resolution – 4K/30 fps
- Battery – 340 shots, approx. 10 minutes of video recording in 4K and 30 minutes in Full HD
- Dimensions – 66.04 x 111.76 x 33.02 mm (2.6 x 4.4 x 1.3 inches)
- Weight – 126 g (0.27 lbs)
- An internally stacked lens that adds more security
- Raw image shooting and 4K video recording
- The camera is sturdy and strong
- Image quality could be better while filming in bright lighting
- No electronic viewfinder
5. Canon EOS M10 – Perfect Streamlined Entry-Level Travel Camera
Looking for a comfortable and compact vlogging camera to take to your next adventure? Don’t hesitate to get the Canon EOS M10. It might be the best compact camera for a very cheap price. Moreover, it is comfortable to carry and easy to use, making it a great camera for travel.
An interchangeable lens camera, the M10 body is well designed and is quite solid for its class. It also has a tilting touchscreen display with over 1000 dot resolutions which is super sharp and bright enough to use outdoors even on a sunny day.
You will also love the touchscreen AF assist and the capture mode as well. The AF assist comes in handy when you want to change something, since it saves you the time of going into the menu system.
What’s more amazing is that the screen is able to flip up, therefore enabling you to show your face when recording yourself or just taking selfies.
Equipped with an 18-megapixel sensor, the M10 captures reasonably sharp images with a good level of detail. The M10 Hybrid CMOS AF II autofocus system is also beneficial to vloggers since it accurately brings images into focus.
When it comes to video, the camera records up to 1080p @30 fps as well as 720p @60 fps. This frame rate is perfect for vloggers as it enables you to post your videos on YouTube as well as other media platforms.
- Sensor – 18MP APS-C size CMOS sensor
- Lens – 22mm f/2 STM
- Screen – 3″ Tilting LCD touchscreen
- Viewfinder – No
- Video resolution – 1080p 30/24 fps, 720p/ 60 fps
- Battery – 255 shots
- Dimensions – 108 x 66.6 x 35 mm (4.2 x 2.62 x 1.38 inches)
- Weight – 301 g (0.66 lb)
- Small, lightweight and easy to use
- Good image quality
- Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC for easy transfer of videos and photos
- Great tilt touchscreen
- Streamlined, comfortable camera body
- Excellent touchscreen menus
- In body flash
- Adapter available for Canon SLR lenses
- No 4K video capture
- Does not have a mount for an external microphone
- The camera has no high frame rate video option
Key Features for Travel Vlogging Camera
A camera that has high-quality video will deliver a lot of views of your travel vlog, that is for sure!
There are a lot of options that you can choose from 720p HD, 1080p Full HD, and even 4K Ultra HD quality. Well, if you want to have an excellent video resolution, we suggest having a camera that provides at least 1080p quality.
If you are looking for the best camera for travel vlogging, it should be lightweight and easy to carry around.
DSLR cameras might have the best video quality and image stabilization features. However, they are heavy and bulky.
Keep in mind, if the camera is small and compatible – it is travel-friendly. It should be easy to pack and should be a point-and-shoot type of camera. Some people like to use SLRs and even smartphones for vlogging.
A lot of vloggers like it when their camera has a tiltable screen (flip-screen cameras).
If your camera has this feature, you can make sure that you are always in focus. Also, if you look messy, you can see that immediately. Having a vari-angle LCD screen is useful when you are a vlogger.
Well, this feature is useful to have, not only in travel-friendly cameras. The AF means that you don’t have to worry about focusing on your face.
Besides, autofocus allows you to point-and-shoot and always maintain autofocusing while filming. No more blurry videos!
Here’s the deal:
While traveling, you will be moving a lot, right? Do yourself a favor and get a camera for travel that has a great image stabilization feature. It ensures that your video will be smooth and steady, even if you are running up a mountain.
Besides, if you wish, you can get a tripod for vlogging, making camera handling easier.
A good travel vlog is not only about video quality. You should have high audio quality if you want to explain where you are traveling and sightseeing.
Sometimes, it is not enough to have a great built-in microphone (windy or rainy days, noisy and crowded places). If your camera has an audio input, you can easily connect an external microphone for better audio quality.
Well, this is not a common feature that most travel vloggers are looking for; however, it is super helpful.
Image if you are traveling near the water (sea, ocean, or lake). Having a waterproof camera, or at least a case for it means that you don’t have to worry about getting your travel camera wet. You can even go snorkeling or surfing with a camera and record your experience.
It would surprise you how a camera with a rugged design helps for travel vlogging.
Imagine yourself climbing up a mountain and vlogging your emotions, and suddenly, you drop your camera, and it cracks or breaks. Your vlog is lost, and you won’t be able to record anymore.
Well, with a robust and rugged design, you would be safe that drooping a camera won’t affect your traveling.
If you are choosing a travel vlogging camera, you should know what type of features you are looking for. The main criteria are that the device needs to be lightweight and easy to use.
You don’t want to waste a lot of backpack space and carry a bulky DSLR to have that perfect quality. As you can see from this guide, there are a lot of small compatible cameras with a 4K movie resolution and excellent image stabilization.
- If you are more like a super adventurous traveler, the GoPro Hero 10 Black or Olympus Tough TG-6 cameras would be the best option for the waterproof and shockproof features.
- If you want to record your trip most simply, point-and-shoot or compact cameras are what you should look for.
We hope that you like this guide and that now you know how to choose the best cameras for travel vlogging.