Needless to say, having a secret vlogging camera doesn’t mean that you are going to spy on somebody and interrupt their privacy.
Opposite, you can find that a lot of people are using hidden vlogging cameras for other reasons. One of them could be filming home type pranks or directed vlogs.
In this guide, you are going to find out the main features to look for a secret camera and what are the best secret cameras for vlogging, YouTube videos, and general security in 2022.
Keep in mind, that if you are going to use secret and spy cameras you have to follow all privacy rules according to your location.
- Which cameras will offer the best value?
- Do you need any skills to use this type of camera?
All of these questions will be answered.
Table of Contents
Key Features for Secret Vlogging Camera
Before considering buying a secret camera for vlogs and YouTube videos, we will provide the main features that a good spy camera should have and where you should pay more attention.
Video Quality: Of course, this feature is the main one for any camera, including the secret mini cameras. Filming and monitoring the surroundings is useful if only you can see the image or video footage.
We are not saying that you should be looking for a mini camera with 4K video quality; however, as the technologies are always increasing, the quality should be decent.
Look for a mini secret vlogging camera that at least provides 1080p/720p video quality. It will be easy to find one, as most of the mini cameras come with this video quality.
Microphone: According to the regulation of US law, mini cameras can only record video, but some sellers do provide this feature but you need to contact them.
Anyway, if you are making mini prank videos at home, you could always turn on a mic nearly and then combine audio with video by editing a video clip.
If you are searching for a really great separate camera to film a prank – check this list.
Size: A secret camera for vlogging should stay as little as possible. If the size doesn’t matter, you can easily buy a big and bulky DSLR, but then it would be difficult to hide it. The smaller the secret camera is, the easier it is to hide it.
Cloaking Feature: Well, if you don’t succeed in finding a small camera, then choose the one that you can easily hide and make it almost impossible to find.
The cloaking feature for a secret vlogging camera is essential, as you want it to keep as hidden as possible.
Many spy cameras can perfectly blend with other home things or be just invisible according to their size. We will mention that type of spy cameras in our shortlist.
Best Secret Cameras for Vlogging
Now it is time to find out what are the best-hidden cameras where you can easily film your pranks or other funny videos.
|Full 1080p HD||0.15 lbs / |
|3.8 x 3.8 x 1.5″ / |
96 x 96 x 38 mm
|Full 1080p HD||0.035 lbs /|
|0.87 x 0.63 x 1.62″ /|
22 x 16 x 41 mm
|Full 1080p HD||1.7 oz /|
|2 x 1.9 x 1.4’’ / 50 x 49 x 36 mm|
1. Mini Spy Camera – Best All-Around Secret Camera for Making Videos
This mini spy camera might look similar to a sugar cube, but it does a big job. Besides, it is an excellent camera for prank type vlogs and continuous shooting – you don’t even need to buy a separate prank camera.
What to find out why?
Well, first of all, it doesn’t have any indicator lights that can blow away the disguise. Also, the camera has sensors that indicate when the surroundings are darker and when to start recording in night vision.
Moreover, the Mini Spy camera is an excellent choice for making vlogs because it can record a regular video, record continuously for 24 hours, and do the time-lapse.
It offers a Full 1080p HD video recording in both day and night vision. The Mini Spy Camera also comes with a 150° wide-angle lens and offers even 12MP photo quality.Main features:
- Full 1080p HD video recording
- Continuous shooting for 24 hours
- Night vision
- Motion detect feature
- Invisible LED lights
- 150° wide-angle lens
- 12MP photo quality
- Dimensions: 3.8 x 3.8 x 1.5″ (96 x 96 x 38 mm)
- Weight: 0.15 lb (68 g)
- Tiny and small design suitable for hiding the camera
- Full 1080p HD video recording and 12MP image quality – impressive for such a little camera
- The Mini Spy camera comes with night vision and motion detect features
- The motion sensor can be too sensitive leading to the recording when don’t need
2. FUVISION Micro Camera with Motion Detect – Super Small and Great Hidden Camera
First of all, the device is super tiny, so you can easily place it everywhere you want to record secretly – nobody will notice it! Besides, the Full 1080p HD quality allows you to get an excellent video with precise details.
With the FUVISION micro camera, you can record for up to 90 minutes at 1080p quality and up to 100 minutes at 720p.
What is even more impressive:
That this camera has a motion detection feature, and it starts to record once detected movement. The camera is suitable not only for prank filming. You can use it for monitoring your hotel room while you are away, keeping your house safe from intruders and caregivers or babysitters.Main features:
- 1 ” CMOS 2MP image sensor
- Full 1080p HD and 720p video recording
- Up to 100 minutes of battery life
- Continuous shooting
- Motion detection feature
- Dimensions: 0.87 x 0.63 x 1.62″ (22 x 16 x 41 mm)
- Weight: 0.035 lb (15.8 g)
- Unique and tiny camera design
- Records Full 1080p HD video
- Continuous shooting up to 90 minutes
- Great battery life
- Motion detection feature that allows the camera to start recording after sensing any movement
- The camera doesn’t have night vision mode
- You will have to purchase an SD card if you want to have more memory
- The camera doesn’t have WiFi
As the name suggests, the Blink Mini is conveniently small and can store videos in the cloud for a 30 days (free trial) Blink subscription or simply save locally with a USB flash drive which is sold separately.
The camera has a battery life of up to 2 years! Amazing right? For easy use, the Blink mini can be paired with Alexa to arm or disarm it, engage live view and so much more by using your voice.
With an optional Blink Subscription, you can live view and save unlimited videos for 60 days. If you are using a blink sync module 2, you can save videos and photos from up to 10 Blink cameras and view them from your smartphone (Blink app) or the computer using a USB drive at no extra cost.
It’s worth noting that all the live view features and motion alerts are automatically available with Blink mini at extra cost.
So basically the main purpose of the camera is for security but you could really do some quick and funny pranks to your friends and convert these to your vlog series.Main features:
- Full HD 1080p resolution
- In-built micro phone with two way audio
- Infrared night vision
- Motion detector
- Adjustable angle (110° diagonal)
- Dimensions: 2 x 1.9 x 1.4’’ (50 x 49 x 36 mm)
- Weight: 1.7 ounces (48 g)
- The camera is Wi-Fi enabled
- Works with Alexa
- 1080p HD video resolution
- 2-way audio recording
- Extended battery life (2years)
- Live viewing is not continuous; you have to tap on the app screen to continue after 30 seconds
- No ability to view all of your cameras at once. You can only select a single camera and activate it to view real-time video
- After the 30 days free trial, you have to subscribe to the blink subscription to keep saving in the cloud
A secret camera for vlogging can be a useful tool to film various YouTube secret videos that shouldn’t be exposed to your big and bulky DSLR camera. These types of videos, most of the time, get a lot of viewers and can become a trending video easily – you just need to have a good idea for your channel.
The small spy cameras can fit everywhere, and they are easily hideable. Besides, nowadays, most spy cameras offer Full 1080p HD video recording, so don’t worry much about the quality.
Anyway, need to mention that we don’t recommend filming full video footage with a spy camera only. These should be used for extra footage to make your vlog more engaging.
Also, if you want to film a prank, I would suggest looking for another type of camera because due to some regulations, you can’t record audio and it requires you to contact tech support and ask for help.
On the other hand, you can use that type of hidden camera for your house security to monitor babysitters or caregivers and film everything that you want without anybody noticing it.