You can see that there are so many types of equipment out there when you want to start motovlogging. As a fact, it is very easy to get confused and lost in the track.
Basically, you can spend a lot of time searching for the best motovlogging setup and equipment.
However, you might be going to end up purchasing the most expensive items thinking that they are the best.
That’s not a solution.
To help you in this case and save you hours of research, we have created this guide to give you some valuable information about motovlogging in general, the equipment you might need, including the best cameras, microphones, and mounts for this activity.
Table of Contents
- What is MotoVlogging?
- Required Equipment for MotoVlogging
- Best Cameras for MotoVlogs
- Best Microphones for MotoVlogging
- Best Helmet Camera Mounts/Holders
- Final Word:
What is MotoVlogging?
Motovlogging is a combo of motorcycle riding and filming at the same time, after putting the video on YouTube or any other social media platform.
Usually, the video contains footage of shots made with an action camera mounted on a helmet.
Needless to say that, this activity might be too dangerous as you need two hands and pay a lot of attention while riding a bike, so you might need a bit of equipment to help you in this case.
On the other hand, these types of videos become very popular every single year.
Here’s the deal:
You can ride a motorcycle in a stunning location and shot great footage without holding the camera. Also, you can create timelapse, slow-motion, fast-paced, and all other kinds of videos.
So, if you like to be vlogging while traveling, why not try to travel with your motorcycle and create a stunning vlog that tells a story about your adventurous trip and show some places where you have been?
You can spice up your content and turn the basic vlog into a motovlog easily.
Required Equipment for MotoVlogging
Like in any kind of shooting preparation, you will need basic equipment details if you are going to start motovlogging. Your equipment can be very basic at the beginning and contain:
1. An Action Camera
This is the most important piece of your equipment. Just like in any other type of video shooting, a camera should be the first device that you need to buy to start motovlogging.
It is recommended to go with the higher quality ones as you could give the best experience to your viewers that will watch the motovlog. Go for the camera that delivers high-resolution and great image quality.
2. A Microphone
As you are going to be motovlogging, the camera will not be able to adjust high-quality audio to your vlog. Also, without having high-quality audio in your video, the vlog will not be going to turn up in a professional-looking vlog to your viewers.
It is a good idea to purchase an external microphone to connect to your camera and be windproof. In this way, you can explain where you are at as you moto vlogging, what do you see, and just communicate with the viewers.
Needless to say that your vlog will be better with the sound of your voice and talking than just pieces of shots that you’ve made.
3. A Camera Mount
It is necessary to put in place your device while motovlogging. When choosing a camera, look for the one that can be easily mounted, as you won’t be able to hold the device and ride a motorcycle at the same time.
All in all, this three-piece equipment is mostly suitable for motovlogging beginners, as you don’t need many devices at the start.We consulted before a review about motovlogging equipment with some enthusiasts of this activity and our results are provided down below.
Best Cameras for MotoVlogs
GoPro HERO 11 Black – Best Camera for MotoVlogging in 2023
When it comes to motovlogging cameras, GoProHero 11 Black is the most powerful choice in 2023! Why? It comes with a powerful processor, a revolutionary new image sensor and the award-winning stabilization Hypersmooth 5.0.
In simple terms, the GoPro Hero 11 is a massive upgrade in speed and performance (in comparison with older GoPro or other action cameras) whether navigating the menu items, transferring videos, or in Live Preview. The only downer is that you need to use a GoPro app (Quik) to be able to Live preview on a smartphone while recording videos.
The camera boasts exclusive features such as low-light noise reduction which enhances quality video and audio while in motion. While using 4K/120p and 2.7K/240p options, you can record fun, slow-motion videos that are perfect for social media cut-scenes or B-Cam footage.
It has a user-friendly interface which very easy to use and operate. The built-in, bright touch screens really help with this and are very responsive, and fairly easy to see even in direct sunlight.
Moreover, GoPro Hero 11 Black lets you enjoy the new effective hydrophobic coating on its toughened-up lens cover.
The camera comes with an HDR processing technique for improving dynamic range (from its photo mode to video as well).
The battery is still a concern while shooting at 5K and there are some cases of the battery running out too fast.
Battery life can be extended by shooting in Full HD such as 4K/60fps or 4K/120fps while filming shorter videos. This can solve the overheating problem or you try a software update.
- It offers a Gp2 processor for an amazing motovlog experience. The new Gp2 processor drives performance, resolution, and frame rates higher and faster than ever before;
- HyperSmooth 5.0 stabilization gives you smoother performance, and it’s easy to dial in the best stabilization always when recording or shooting. You get better low-light performance and horizon leveling with a higher tilt limit;
- Built-in microphone for easier recording;
- Offers front and rear touch screens features for easy use;
- Harder lens cover and water repellent coating that allows you to take your camera with you in water to a depth of 10m without extra housing;
- Live streaming at 1080p is also available. Note, you can only live stream at 1080p; live stream is not available in higher resolutions;
- Time-lapse and slow-motion modes. You can record in slo-mo at 2.7K.
Here’s the best thing:
Anyway, if you are on a budget and want to get the best video quality from your moto experience, we highly recommend you checking the best GoPro Black 11 Mini. It offers almost the same features for a lower price. Also mini version is super suitable for motovlogging experience.
Akaso Brave 4 – Best Budget Camera for MotoVlogging
Made for motovlogging purposes, this pocket-friendly camera comes with a fair number of accessories.
Pretty cool, huh?
Most competing brands make you shell out extra cash for accessories.
The Camera comes with 2 rechargeable 1050mAh batteries that can record for up to 90 minutes depending on video resolution.
Akaso Brave 4 Action allows you to shoot and Ultra HD clearly in 4K and 2K resolutions. For ease of use, the camera comes with a wristband remote controller. However, the controller is not of the best quality.
The camera is WIFI enabled and can connect with your phone or tablet. Using Camking App, you can record, review the videos on your phone and share them on social media instantly.
Also, you can store your content in a Micro SD (64 GB recommended max).
- A cheaper version of a GoPro action camera, suitable for beginners in motovlogging;
- Smart Gyroscope – This is a new anti-shaking feature that enhances image stabilization and comes in handy when motovlogging;
- Optical view angle and adjustable view angles between 170°, 140°, 110°, and 70°;
- 2″ IPS screen that allows you to preview your video in an action camera;
- It offers Loop recording to ensure continuous recording and also time-lapse for you as you motovlog;
- HDMI port that allows you to connect with your TV.
Best Microphones for MotoVlogging
|Purple Panda Lavalier Lapel Microphone Kit - Clip-on Omnidirectional Condenser Lav Mic Compatible...||CHECK THE PRICE|
|PowerDeWise Professional Grade Lavalier Clip On Microphone - Lav Mic for Camera Phone iPhone GoPro...||CHECK THE PRICE|
Purple Panda Lavalier Lapel Microphone Kit – Great Microphone Kit for MotoVlogging
It features a lot of great things, and the results can be quite satisfying.
Purple Panda lavalier microphone has a small, simple, and minimalistic design to it.
Furthermore, it has a thin and strong cord and comes with a cloth clip for an easy attachment.
The microphone is made from strong black plastic and it provides durability and lightweight usage. It weighs only 0.8 ounces (22 g.), so you will not feel that the microphone is attached to you. Although the microphone comes with a long cord, it has an additional 3-meter extension cord.
When talking about sound quality, the Purple Panda Lavalier microphone delivers great sound quality. Considering the cheap price, it is a great device.
We need to mention that this is an omnidirectional condenser microphone that comes with a metal capsule to improve the sound quality.
The Purple Panda Lavalier microphone reduces all the additional noise that comes from the surroundings. For example, the wind, so when riding a motorcycle and motovlogging, you will have decent and clear audio to your video.
- A compact and lightweight microphone that is suitable for any kind of use, especially when motovlogging;
- Compatible with many devices;
- Suitable for beginners who are looking for a cheap but great audio quality when starting motovlogging;
- Minimizes the sound of the surroundings, like the wind, which is great if you are recording while riding a motorcycle.
Professional Grade Lavalier Lapel Microphone – Cheap and Perfect Microphone for Motovlogging
Even though you might not hear of this brand before and it doesn’t have any code, but the PowerDeWise Lavalier microphone is one of the cheapest microphones in the market for recording any kind of vlogs, including moto sport.
The microphone is suitable to be placed anywhere, as it is an omnidirectional type. You can clip it onto a shirt or collar and the device will pick a clear sound.
The PowerDeWise microphone doesn’t require any batteries like most of the lavalier microphones, as you can simply plug-in into a tablet, smartphone, or any other device. This might be the best and the most affordable lavalier microphone, which is most suitable for beginners.
Besides, the microphone has a wind-proof cap, so it delivers sharp and clear audio for your motovlog.
Also, it is very simple to start using this microphone. Firstly, you need to plug-in your microphone into the jack of any phone or another device that you want to use. Then, press the “record” button and start speaking. If you want to listen to your recording, unplug the microphone.
- Lightweight and great design;
- Easy-to-use, a great choice for beginners also;
- Weatherproof, so you can use this microphone while riding a motorcycle;
- One of the cheapest lavalier microphones in the market, most suitable for beginners.
Best Helmet Camera Mounts/Holders
Needless to say that It is necessary to have camera mounts if you are starting to motovlog.
Unfortunately, we don’t have helmets with integrated cameras yet, so we have to find the best camera/helmet mounts.
When choosing the right camera mount, you need to consider the weight of your camera and the angle that you want to shoot. Some motovloggers prefer to have the side or front angle, while others like to shoot from a chin-mounted angle.
GoPro Helmet Front + Side Mount – Original GoPro Mounting System
It doesn’t matter if you are a beginner or professional, this action camera mounting system is easy-to-use and you can attach your camera at the front or the side of your motorcycle helmet.
It has sticky padding, which holds the camera mount in place even if you are in action. It holds the GoPro action camera with the mounting buckle and thumbscrew and both of these things are included in the kit that you are buying. You can get that perfect angle easily as the helmet mount can be adjusted and rotated in multiple directions.
- Easily adjustable and rotatable, so it delivers the perfect angle for the perfect motovlogging;
- Can be mounted on the side of the front of the helmet;
- Easy-to-use mounting buckle for more secure holding of the camera;
- Compatible with all GoPro action cameras.
SUREWO Aluminum Motorcycle Helmet Chin Mount – A Great Alternative to the Original GoPro Helmet Mount
Because this mount is placed in the chin area of the helmet, you can easily get the best point of view as if you are looking from the motorcycle riders’ eyes. The field of view is very similar to top-mounted cameras.
Also, another advantage of buying a chin mount instead of the top mount as you can get a more aerodynamic angle for your video. It doesn’t block the view, so you can see the view.
- A chin helmet mount for action cameras delivers the closest angle to a true point of view;
- Chin mount is the most aerodynamic place to mount your action camera;
- It helps to stabilize the camera when filming in action;
- Quite an affordable mount that is suitable for most action cameras.
AmazonBasics Head Strap Camera Mount – A Great Mount for the Top View MotoVlogging
If you are a beginner and you are looking for a great head mount to film your motovlogs, the AmazonBasics Head Strap Camera Mount can be one of the best options.
This head strap for GoPro is similar to all the other ones. However, it is waterproof. This means that you can use this mount and be shooting your video in all kinds of weather.
It is comfortable to wear, doesn’t squeeze your head and feels secure.
Here’s the best part:
Most action cameras are built with the same technology and size as GoPro, so if you have any type of action camera, most likely, this camera mount will be suitable for it as well.
On the other hand:
When you put the holder on your helmet, always make sure that it is properly inserted and adjusted, as there are situations when the whole mount just slips off the helmet with a camera as well.
- Waterproof head strap and compatible with most of the GoPro and other action cameras that you are using for motovlogging;
- The size is universal and adjustable and can be fitted to most of helmet sizes;
- Ideal action camera mount for top view angles;
- The action camera mount has adjustable nylon straps and non-slipping rubber inserts for more secure use;
We hope that you have found out what you were looking for the best motovlogging setup. As you noticed, there are a lot more options to choose from.
To our editors’ minds, the preferable camera for filming is the action camera (GoPro) because it offers shooting in action, image stabilization can shoot in the rain and has a lot of additional accessories.
Choosing the equipment can be a challenging part for everyone. However, with this guide, you can understand that you need just a few items to provide a great quality motovlog.