TOP 7 Best Lighting for YouTube Videos: BUYER’S GUIDE
Have you ever thought of why you are looking not good enough in your YouTube videos? Well, most of the time, it depends on the lighting.
Usually, people think that they need to buy a new camera with a better and more expensive lens, but most of the time it’s not enough.
Due to this, we created a perfect guide and ultimate list of best lighting for YouTube videos.
The lighting is one of the main things that you need to think about if you want to have a high-quality YouTube video!
Let’s analyze how to get good lighting for youtube videos and make a perfect vlog.
Table of Contents
- Importance of Lighting for YouTube Videos
- Types of Lighting for YouTube Videos:
- Best Lighting Kits for YouTube Videos
- 1. Neewer Ring Light Kit: 18″/48cm – Best Kit for All Type of YouTube Videos (Best Seller)
- 2. Fovitec – 3x 20″x28″ Softbox Continuous Lighting Kit – Good for Indoor Photography, Videography
- 3. LimoStudio Umbrella Lighting Kit – Great Lighting Equipment for All Studios
- 4. Bicolor Dimmable LED Ring Light Lighting Kit – Great Lighting Kit for a Professional Makeup Vlogger!
- 5. Softbox Lighting Kit by MOUNTDOG – Ideal for General Photography or Making a High-Quality YouTube Videos
- 6. Selfie Ring Light with Phone Holder – Budget-Friendly Lighting Equipment for Live Streaming on YouTube
- 7. Full Neewer Background Support System and Lighting Kit – Recommended YouTube Video Lighting Kit for Beginners in 2020
- How to Use a Lighting Kit?
- Conclusion & Recommendation
Importance of Lighting for YouTube Videos
First of all, good lighting set up is the main factor that you need to know if you want good quality content.
It doesn’t depend only on the camera and lenses, because with good lighting you can shoot a great video or picture even from the smartphone or camera which costs less than $100.
Besides, you need to have good lighting for your YouTube videos because it is an important quality factor, especially if you want your videos to look high-quality, gain many subscribers, and even monetize YouTube videos.
Nowadays there are many lighting options to choose from.
For the beginners, it could be hard to choose the right lighting, but you need to know to want you to want your pictures, videos to look like and do your research on the internet or go into your local photography shop and ask the consultant to advise you.
Types of Lighting for YouTube Videos:
When you learn about types of lighting for your videos you will never again face any video quality issues.
These lights come in different shapes, but usually, they have a shape of square or rectangular.
The softbox lights are the same as it is named – a soft and reflective box is surrounding a light bulb. These lights are most suitable for indoor YouTube videos.
It can be used for review type videos, room vlogging or podcasts.
Softbox lighting features:
- Uses a diffusion panel to create natural light;
- Wide, flat coverage;
- Comes in many shapes and sizes;
- Inside it is silver or a white surface to reflect the light;
- Requires a basic but easy setup;
- This Softbox light is the best if you want to shoot a home type vlog, also if you like to do a product review on your YouTube channel.
These lights are almost the most popular lighting for YouTube videos, and they are suitable for any subject.
Umbrella lights come in two types: reflective type and shoot-through type.
Umbrella lighting features:
- It is like an umbrella with a shoot-through function;
- If your umbrella light is more curved – it can produce better lighting;
- Comes in various sizes and can be bendable like a standard umbrella;
- The reflective surface comes in gold, silver, or white;
- These lights are an affordable and easy option for beginners;
- Best for indoor vlogging.
Ring lights are the most popular lights for beginners.
These lights create the most smooth lighting and are the best lighting for YouTube videos as well.
Also, these lights create a “halo” catchlight in the eyes, and it looks really nice in the YouTube videos.
The lights are straightforward to set up – just put in the power socket and place it in front of yourself or the object that you want to film.
Ring lighting features:
- Uses ring-type bulb;
- Eliminates most of the shadow that appears in the videos;
- Creates “halo” catchlights for the eyes in the videos;
- Comes in various sizes;
- Very easy to set up;
- Best for beauty, makeup videos.
We even looked at the best ring lights individually here.
LED on-camera Lights
LED on-camera lights come in different shapes and sizes. The most popular forms of on-camera lights are square and rectangular.
They are usually being mounted on the top of the camera or placed somewhere near. They can also be mounted on stands to create the best lighting for vlogs.
This type of light is usually more affordable than softboxes, umbrellas, and ring lights. The price often depends on the power of the lights.
LED on-camera lights features:
- Uses many small LED bulbs;
- Creates even and direct lighting;
- Comes in different shapes, sizes;
- Customizable power and color temperature;
- Portable and battery-operated;
- Best for vlogging on-the-go.
Best Lighting Kits for YouTube Videos
All lighting kits from this list were tested by vlogtribe.com editors.
Neewer Ring Light Kit - Editor's Choice
|Best Seller, Amazing Kit for YouTube Videos, Makeup, and Selfies|
|Best for Indoor Photography, Videography|
|Great Lighting Equipment for All Studios|
|Great Lighting Kit for a Professional Makeup Artist Vloggers!|
|Ideal for General Photography or Making a High-Quality YouTube Videos|
|Budget-Friendly Lighting Equipment for Live Streaming on YouTube|
|Recommended YouTube Video Lighting Kit for Beginners in 2019|
1. Neewer Ring Light Kit: 18″/48cm – Best Kit for All Type of YouTube Videos (Best Seller)
This Neewer kit includes LED ring-type light, light stand, soft tube, white and orange color filter, an adapter and carrying bag.
This ring light is lightweight and portable; therefore, you can bring it everywhere with you.
This LED light kit includes an adapter which is suitable for most of the DSLR cameras and cell phones. Also, the stand of this ring light is made from an alloy that provides strength in standing.
Besides, in the kit, you will find some warm yellow and white filters to change the light color of the ring light.
So if you are looking for a portable and good quality ring light which makes an amazing lighting for YouTube videos, this is an affordable choice. Moreover, it is easy to set up and very easy to use.
2. Fovitec – 3x 20″x28″ Softbox Continuous Lighting Kit – Good for Indoor Photography, Videography
It includes two square softboxes that are easily adjustable. Simply just push the center of the light, and the softbox will take its best shape and lock it into the place safely.
This Fovitec Softbox Lighting kit will deliver a soft and well-balanced light for your YouTube videos. The light bulbs are economical, so it will reduce your electrical cost, sounds good, right?
Almost all reliable lighting kits are maximizing your energy bills because the light bulbs are solid and powerful with the same function as these.
So, if you are looking for affordable lighting for your photo studio, this Fovitec Softbox Lighting Kit is perfect for you.
Even if you are a beginner, this is one of the best softbox lighting kit for YouTube videos.
3. LimoStudio Umbrella Lighting Kit – Great Lighting Equipment for All Studios
No matter, if you are starting your vlog studio for filming YouTube videos in the basement or garage, or you already have a studio – umbrella lights are one of the best kits for YouTube videos or vlogging.
If you are using an umbrella lighting kit while shooting videos or photos, the camera can take a full spectrum of colors with neutral skin tones. With umbrella lights, you can achieve high-quality YouTube videos or make good looking thumbnails for the content.
If you want to have a professional lighting kit even if you are starting your YouTube content – the umbrella lighting kit is might for you.
Amazing feature is that they are easy to set up and easy to use!
4. Bicolor Dimmable LED Ring Light Lighting Kit – Great Lighting Kit for a Professional Makeup Vlogger!
Admit the fact, that the “halo” looking eyes are looking beautiful in the pictures and YouTube videos.
Ever wonder how it is made? Yes, you are right. With a ring light!
This lighting kit is an excellent option if you are filming makeup YouTube videos or just taking simple selfies.
This ring light reduces skin imperfections, also makes makeup colors popping and gives to the face a fresh, clean look. Controlling the light in this kit is easy.
You can set up the brightness from 0% to 100% according to your needs. Also, you can put this ring light everywhere you want, because it comes with a table stand, 2 meters long power line – everything is under your control.
Besides, this kit is easy to set-up, so you do not need to be a professional photographer to know how to use your lighting kit. This Bicolor Dimmable LED Ring Light Kit is suitable for most of the DSLR cameras and 55-75 mm smartphones.
The Kit comes with a ring light, light stand, tabletop stand, smartphone holder, 100v-240v AC power adapter, ¼ inch screw thread tip adapter, portable bag, and 2-year warranty.
Don’t overthink that you need a professional lighting kit if you want to create high-quality pictures or videos; a simple ring light kit might be a perfect option at the beginning or even for a professional.
5. Softbox Lighting Kit by MOUNTDOG – Ideal for General Photography or Making a High-Quality YouTube Videos
It gets better:
The softbox itself can be rotated a 210°, so it is adjustable and has a secure looking in place, so you don’t have to worry that it will fall.
Mountdog softbox material is high-quality nylon and has a silver inner face – it minimizes light loss and maximizes light spread. Also, you do not need to worry about energy costs, because this kit comes with an energy-saving 135W light bulb, which saves up to 80% energy.
Usually, light bulbs are very powerful and high-costive, so they are expensive to use. However, they are providing the same result.
The kit comes with a carrying bag, two bulbs, a softbox + diffuser, and a softbox stand.
Mountdog Softbox Lighting Kit is great if you are looking for a simple, but high-quality lighting which might be one of the best lighting equipment for YouTube videos or photography.
It is an affordable way to make your content stand out from the crowd.
6. Selfie Ring Light with Phone Holder – Budget-Friendly Lighting Equipment for Live Streaming on YouTube
Also, you will be able to take a beautiful picture or shoot o good video at night or in the dark areas.
This ring light is flexible because it comes with 24 inches long and a strong, adjustable arm that can bend to any shape.
Apart from this, the ring light has 3 light colors – white, warm yellow and warm white and 10 level brightness so you can easily adjust the right light for your photos and videos.
Also, the light is easy to use and control, no battery needed as it is USB powered and works well with most of the devices – phones, laptops, and power banks. This Selfie Ring Light Kit is adjustable to almost all smartphones and has a non-slip rubber backing clip.
Selfie Ring Light is a great option if you do not want to have big lighting kits and want to have great pictures or videos on-the-go. This is a small ring light with the same high-quality lighting for the best quality of YouTube videos and photos.
7. Full Neewer Background Support System and Lighting Kit – Recommended YouTube Video Lighting Kit for Beginners in 2020
Neewer Lighting Kit comes with 79” light stand, single headlight holder, 45W daylight bulb, 33” white umbrella light, 24×24” softbox light, 10×20 feet Muslin Backdrop, 6 backdrop clamps, 8.5x 10 feet backdrop support system, carrying bag for background support system, carrying bag for lighting kit, with 1 year warranty.
It is full lighting equipment for you which will be required creating amazing content on YouTube!
This kit is safe to use, easy to adjust, and you do not need to be a professional, just follow up the instructions, and you will build your very first photo studio.
The backdrops are made from 100% muslin – it is a cotton fabric of plain weave. The backdrop can be machine washable, and it is made of lightweight, wrinkle-resistant fabric.
Also, you can adjust the backdrop to the height of a person or an item that you are shooting or making a video of.
The kit includes a white umbrella light with light bulbs to make soft-looking photos or YouTube videos. 5500K fluorescent spiral bulb generates a close match to natural daylight to create high-quality photos, videos without any shadows.
This photo and video shooting kit is a perfect way to start your YouTubers career. You don’t need to be a professional, just follow the instructions and start making amazing videos with a perfect lighting. Really – one of the best lighting kits for beginners.
How to Use a Lighting Kit?
First of all, ask yourself a few questions, before setting up the lighting kit:
- Where will you be taking photos or videos?
- What will you be shooting?
These two questions and the answers to them are the two main factors that you need to consider before setting up your lighting kit.
It doesn’t matter if you are a beginner or a professional photographer or vlogger; you need always to have good lighting when it comes to taking high-quality photos or videos.
When you buy a lighting kit, it usually comes with instructions, but only how to assemble the lights.
7 Crucial Tips How to Use and Setup a Lighting Kit Perfectly
1. Measure Your Needs
If you want to have a high-quality YouTube video or a good photo, you need to consider how many lights do you need. Think about how you want to light your subject and the background of it.
- One-light set up is the most suitable for the beginners, and it provides a shadowy background.
- Two-light set up is a good starting point because one light will be like a key/main light, and the second one will be a filling light.
- Three-light and four-light setups are more for advanced photographers when they know how to make a good video or picture.
2. Tripod or C-stand
The key light needs to behind the object or a person that you are taking the photo or video of.
The key light needs to be off the camera, or if it is on its own, you need to have a tripod stand or a c-stand. The tripod stand is made from aluminum and is lightweight. C-stands are more durable, but it is not suitable for outdoor shooting because of their weight.
Also, you can add a boom arm that can be used as a hair light holder. The leading light adds a highlight to the subject.
Don’t forget to add the fill light to the background.
The fill light’s purpose is to fill in some shadows without blocking the main object. Set this fill light directly in front of the subject and make sure that the light is standing lower than the key light.
If you want more shadows than you can place the fill light slightly lower than the key light.
Take care of backlighting – you need to set up the hair light.
It separates the background from the main subject of which you are taking the photo or video. If you want to have a specific background in your picture or video, then don’t use the hair light.
Also, you can adjust the hair light according to the effect that you want to get. Besides, you can use reflectors, which is reflecting the light from the object or eliminates the shadows made from the key/main lights. They can be in yellow, silver, or white colors.
Once you have all the lighting setup, start to move them back and forward, up and down to get that perfect lighting for your photos or YouTube videos.
6. Power of Lights
Play with the power of the lights and decide what type of lighting you want to use. Maybe you do not need the full power of your lighting, and the minimum will be enough, it is up to you.
Also, it is important to play with the angles and the distance with your umbrella and softbox lights. When you find out how to use your lighting kit, then you can get high-quality YouTube videos.
Do not worry; everything comes with practice.
- Simply, play with the lights, learn their features, and you will be able to get that perfect angle and make good content for your YouTube channel.
- Do research on the internet which can tell you which lights are a good kit when they are together.
- Also, if you want to buy a lighting kit, consider if you will have a space to put them because maybe they are adjustable, but a few lights will take some space.
Conclusion & Recommendation
In conclusion, it is advisable to shop around the deals and don’t buy a lighting kit that is not suitable for you and is expensive.
If you are getting ready to build up your entire photo studio, always talk with the lighting expert in order to build the personal kit just for you.