TOP 10 Best FREE Vlog Editing Software
After shooting a vlog, you might be needing a great software where you can edit your footage, right? Needless to say that raw footage of your vlog always needs to be edited before you can upload it to your YouTube channel.
There are a lot of options to go for, some of them are free, and some are paid. However, you can find it challenging to choose the right editing software, so we have brought out this article with some tips on choosing the best free vlog editing software.
The editing apps can cost a lot, but there are many great and free editing software that you might be using and we are going to share the list with you!
Table of Contents
- Differences Between FREE and PAID Editing Software
- TOP 10 Best Free Vlog Editing Software in 2020
- Best Free Video Editing Softwares for Phones
- How to Choose the Perfect Vlog Editing Software?
Differences Between FREE and PAID Editing Software
There are plenty of different kinds of editing software in the market. If you are a beginner, it is easy for you to get overwhelmed with all of the options.
First of all, notice that there are free editing apps and the ones that you have to pay for also. The main difference between them is that the free editing software might not have many editing features.
Video editing software that you need to pay for comes with a lot of effect variety, and sometimes it is most suitable for professional videographers or vloggers.
For example, the most popular video editing software that many YouTubers are using, the Final Cut Pro X, costs at about $300.
If you are a professional YouTuber, then it is great to invest your money into the software, which will save you time while editing and will provide a great finished product.
However, if you are a beginner, you can go for the easier one and try a free editing software.
Here’s the deal:
Let’s go through some main differences between PAID and FREE vlog editing software:
1. Paid editing software can offer better support.
When you are paying for the software, it usually comes with a support system that includes regular updates, publishers who are interested in what you are doing with the software.
Besides, you are getting technical support that can be helpful when the software doesn’t work or bugs a lot. With free editing software, you can’t be too picky because most of the time, you don’t have technical support.
2. You might not get a lot of features from free editing software.
Don’t get it wrong, for some people, free editing software is enough and meets all their needs. However, if you are paying for an app, you can get extra features.
3. Be careful because free doesn’t always mean that it is free.
It can sound confusing, but some of the time free stuff have secret in-app purchases. There are a lot of scam apps that might be free to download, but then they are asking you to purchase a subscription if you want to use it in a full way.
TOP 10 Best Free Vlog Editing Software in 2020
Now that you found out some main differences between paid and free vlog editing software, we are providing a list of the best free vlog editing software that you can trust and rely on.
Besides, they are providing basic features with some extra ones at no cost.
Let’s go through them!
Free vlog editing software that makes editing straightforward and easy, available for all operating systems.
The Shotcut video editing program is proof that great software doesn’t need to cost a lot.
This software is suitable for all operating systems, including Linux. Besides, this software is suitable for those who are looking for a free alternative to the Windows Movie Maker.
It offers all the tools that you need and is similar to the Window’s software. You can use the Shotcut video editing software if you want to cut video footage to a particular length before transforming it into the desired format.
Also, the software offers a lot of great effects. What is greater than you can record straight from the software, which saves you space in the camera’s memory.
The best feature that Shotcut has is the video and audio filters. They are fully customizable and can be combined in a lot of different ways. The Shotcut is a great and one of the best free vlog editing software that you can get for free.
- Supports the latest audio and video formats;
- Supports most popular image formats (BMP, JPEG, PNG, GIF, etc.);
- Doesn’t require importing;
- Frame-accurate seeking;
- Webcam capture;
- Supports 4K quality;
- Video and audio effects and filters.
- Great support for a lot of file formats;
- Adjustable and fully customizable filters for audio and video;
- The interface is clear and well-designed.
- There are no ready-made export profiles that you can use for different devices.
This editing software is easy-to-use and lightweight to run on almost any computer with any operating system, including Linux.
In general, Lightworks is a professional vlog editing software that has been around for a long time. Unfortunately, it has never gained popular recognition by the video editing community.
On the other hand, it doesn’t mean that this is not a great software to edit your vlog with. The Lightworks offers a lot of great features that help to edit your raw footage.
It is a great professional vlog editing software that doesn’t take a lot of storage space – only 200MB. Also, you need to have only 3GB RAM to fully operate this software.
This means that editing software is suitable for most of the basic computers and even notebooks.
- Advanced editing tools;
- Suitable for a beginner or a pro;
- Real-time effect support;
- Suitable for all operating systems, including Linux;
- Multicam editing feature.
- Professional vlog editing software that is completely free;
- Awesome variety of import formats;
- Easy-to-use, suitable for both beginner and a pro, and has a powerful VFX panel;
- Can export directly to YouTube.
- Export is limited to 720p;
- Doesn’t support full HD or 4K.
Free video editing software suitable for all operating systems.
OpenShot video editing software is a simple tool, but it offers everything you need to edit your vlog.
Besides, you can switch from a simple view to an advanced view. This allows you to adjust the amount of the information that you wish to see while editing your footage.
On top of this, you can customize the interface according to your needs. You can import different file formats: audio, still photos, and multiple types of videos, including 4K. The editing software features even 14 effects that you can put on your vlog.
However, the OpenShot editing software can’t open AVCHD files, so if you are vlogging with a camcorder, this software won’t be for you.
- 3D video editing;
- Audio tools;
- Speed adjustment feature;
- Split/merge feature;
- Text overlay;
- Suitable for all type of operating systems;
- Free video editing software that is suitable for all type of operating systems;
- Has regular updates and constantly improving in quality;
- Great interface.
- Can be buggy and slow when applying effects on your footage;
- Some features might not work for a specific file type.
A 3D animation and video editing software suitable for Windows, iOS and Linux operating systems.
Blender video editing software is slightly different from a usual free video editing program.
This software offers 3D animation, which allows you to get some great features, like rendering, modeling, motion tracking.
Besides, the Blender video editing tool has transition features, filters, speed control, and much more great ways that can make your vlog stand out.
At first, you can find this video editing software a bit complicated, especially if you are a beginner. After a while, you can find it easy-to-use, because the tool is simple to navigate and understand.
- Live preview display;
- Audio mixing;
- Scrubbing visualization;
- Up to 32 slots for video, audio, image effects;
- Speed control;
- Adjustable layers;
- Transitions, keyframes.
- The tool is suitable with Windows and Linux operating systems;
- Easy-to-use and adjustable interface;
- A large quantity of video editing features considering that it is free;
- Object and camera tracking.
- The user interface could be easier for beginners.
Suitable if you are looking for a decent free video editing software.
FXHome HitFilm Express is another free to download vlog editing software and has no strings attached. It means that you will not get surprised with additional in-app purchases.
Besides, it is one of the most powerful packages for videographers that offers editing and visual effects to make your vlog, video, or film stand out.
On the other hand, the HitFilm Express program is not suitable for a beginner as it has a lot of professional complex features. Because it is a professional video editing program, it might have discrete graphics.
For operating systems that have integrated graphics, the HitFilm Express might be buggy but usable. Regarding this, you might need to have a powerful computer to use this vlog editing software.
- Advanced tracking;
- Lighting effects;
- Grading tools;
- Screen simulation feature;
- Imported and animated 3D modelling.
- The interface is a more traditional type;
- The tool has a lot of performance improvements;
- Comes with a lot of reusable templates;
- Easier to create animated texts.
- Not suitable for the beginners in vlogging;
- Requires a powerful computer to use it in full.
Basic video editing program for your vlog footage, suitable for most of the operating systems and offers basic tools for editing.
VideoPad by NCH video editing software is a basic program that is suitable for beginners and advanced editors. It has all the essential tools that you need to edit a vlog. However, it lacks some of the features that other free software has.
Besides, this software can add editing tracks to your vlog and gives you the ability to create complicated projects.
Another great feature that this software offers is the ability to import and edit 4K video footage. You can apply motion tracking features. Also, the tool can stabilize the footage.
On the other hand, it lacks a video theme and template variety; it can’t create photo slideshows.
For a beginner, it is a great tool, later, you can find another software type that suits your needs.
- Direct upload to YouTube, Facebook;
- The 3D video editing tool;
- 4K video editing;
- Visual effect templates;
- Image stabilization and video optimization;
- Audio tools.
- The software has unlimited tracking for more complicated project editing;
- It doesn’t have some features, like automatic video creator, theme and template variety.
One of the most popular video editing software for Mac users.
The biggest advantage that iMovie has to offer is the ease of use. This software is organizing the vlog footage that you’ve taken on your iPhone, GoPro, or any other camera.
iMovie video editing software can edit 4K footage and has image stabilization tool. It is easy-to-use this program, however, it is not fully automated.
When it comes to the iMovie Media Library, it is divided into projects making it easy to organize your footage. Besides, you can create multiple Libraries if you want to keep your media more separated.
iMovie is one of the TOP picks as a free vlog editing software for Mac users because it has a big number of adjustments, tools, and features that help you edit your footage. There are 30 video and 20 audio filters which allows you to get creative.
- Automated video editing;
- Supports full HD and 4K video quality;
- Audio or music editing tools;
- Image stabilization;
- Video and audio effects;
- Can open multiple projects.
- Free video editing software for Mac users;
- A lot of video and audio effects and editing tools;
- Supports 4K video quality.
- For Mac users only;
- Not many transitions and title options;
- It can’t customize the interface.
Great vlog editing software for Windows users that offers professional standard tools
After the latest update, the VSDC Video Editor software has an improved interface and a smart dark design, which eases the navigation and use of the tool.
This also offers more flexibility, especially if you are editing on multiple monitors. Besides, after the update, the software can support 360-degree video footage and allows to export clips at 120fps.
With the VSDC video editing software, you can easily edit videos, combinations, still images and audio files at full HD resolution. Besides, the tool offers a built-in screen capturing tool where you can record your screen – suitable for course shooting.
- Visual audio and video effects;
- Supports full HD video footage;
- Offers video stabilization tool;
- Built-in screen capturing tool;
- YouTube uploader tool.
- The non-linear video editing feature;
- Supports full HD footage;
- Easy to use for Windows users.
- You must disable hardware acceleration before exporting files.
Best Free Video Editing Softwares for Phones
9. Splice App
A great video editing app for iPhone, Mac and Windows users.
Originally, the Splice App is created by GoPro. It is a highly rated video editing app for iOS users.
This app is completely free to download and use. It is suitable for social media influencers and those who are posting videos constantly.
Splice App offers a video trimming feature where you can simply cut out your footage and make it a smooth and clear video clip.
Besides, one of the best app’s features is that you can add music to your video clip and make it more fun. iOS users can import music from their iTunes library. To make your vlog or video even more fun to watch, you can add a transition or effects that this app offers.
Here’s the deal:
You could also use this app with your computer. If you are Windows user – you could use this software too.
- The basic timeline editing feature;
- Trimming and cropping feature;
- Built-in transition and effect options;
- Instant share to social media platforms.
- Simple and easy-to-use;
- Free access to iTunes for iOS users.
- iPhone app;
- Offers the basic video editing tools;
- There is a computer version which supports Windows operational system.
- Requires a lot of mobile space for storage.
One of the best vlog editing apps for Smartphone, Mac and Windows users.
The Quick is another great app from GoPro to people who love vlogging with smartphones. It has been created for those who are looking for an easy and fast video editing app. It is slightly similar to the Splice Video Editor app but works with iOS and Android devices.
The most impressive part of this app is the automated video editing process. Quick can easily find the footage, trim the clips, and make a great video. If you wish, you can edit your footage in manual mode as well and add some transitions, effects, or music that you like.
Also, Quick has a desktop version and you could easily use this software with your computer.
- Automated and manual editing modes;
- Trimming tool;
- Various effects, transition, and music options.
- Simple and easy-to-use app for Android and iOS users;
- Can edit your footage automatically.
- Mostly customized for GoPro video footage corrections.
If you are looking for more applications to edit your video footage on the phone – highly recommend to check our guide about it.
How to Choose the Perfect Vlog Editing Software?
If you want to make the right decision when it comes to downloading great vlog editing software, think about what do you want it to have. Also, consider your own level of skills and are you planning to use the software a lot.
Most of the time, if you are a beginner, you can get a more simple editing tool that offers basic features. Otherwise, if you are a professional vlogger that wants to save some money, there are a lot of great free vlog editing software that can offer great features.
Here’s the kicker:
Being a vlogger is not an easy task. You need to have not only a great camera and external equipment, but also, you need a great vlog editing software.
We hope that this guide helped you to save some coin and find out some of the recommended free vlog editing software on the internet.
Keep in mind:
Editing should be a fun and creative way to create a short clip from your taken footage. It has to be simple and easy-to-use for both beginners and professional vloggers. You can always purchase professional software that offers a lot of features, but you might end up not using half of them. This is why you should get a free and great version.
By the way, if you have a decent budget you could always hire a freelance video editor!