TOP 8 Best Cameras for YouTube Makeup Artists
In the past few years, makeup videos on YouTube have become extremely popular and can bring you a solid income and brand awareness also.
However, if you want to be a great makeup artist on YouTube, you need to think about buying the best camera for makeup filming.
If you are or want to be Makeup vlogger, guru, we will cover your needs and requirements.
Table of Contents
- How to Choose a Best Camera for Makeup Vlogs?
- TOP 8 Best Cameras for YouTube Makeup Artists
- 1. Canon EOS 80D SLR – The Ideal Camera for Makeup Artists in 2020
- 2. Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR – One of the Most Popular Cameras for Makeup Artists
- 3. Canon Digital EOS Rebel T6 SLR – Great Budget Camera For Makeup Beginners
- 4. Canon Powershot G7 X Mark II – One of the Most Popular Vlogging Cameras in General
- 5. Fujifilm FinePix S8600 – Compact and Budget-Friendly Camera for Makeup Vlogs
- 6. Sony a5100 – Extremely Compatible Camera with Perfect Lighting
- 7. Nikon COOLPIX S6900 – Budget-Friendly Camera for Starting Makeup Channel
- 8. Panasonic VHC-V180K Camcorder – Good and Cheap Camcorder for Makeup Vlogs
How to Choose a Best Camera for Makeup Vlogs?
First of all, you should find out what kind of camera type you will be needing.
There are a lot of cameras for makeup vloggers, but simply they are split into 3 types:
- Point & Shoot cameras;
- DSLR cameras.
Point & Shoot cameras are not that great if you are going to be filming in low-lighting and they won’t allow you to be in full control of the video that you are filming.
Also, these type of cameras doesn’t offer that high-quality shooting as a DSLR does. Unless you are using the Canon PowerShot G7 X which costs the same as the usual DSLR does.
On the other side, camcorders have nice auto-focusing features, but not good at taking pictures, so forget about high-quality thumbnail. Basically, if you are filming with the camcorder, the viewer will have the feeling like he is watching TV.
Here’s the deal:
DSLR cameras have a lot of features that makeup artists are looking for their YouTube channel. These types of cameras are the best for makeup and the quality is super great for both pictures and video shooting thanks to the large and high-quality sensors.
Also, you can change the lens according to your needs. As being a makeup artist, you need to have a perfect white balance.
Source: Nibbles Official
TOP 8 Best Cameras for YouTube Makeup Artists
All cameras from this list were tested by vlogtribe.com editors.
|Name||Flip Screen||Optical Sensor Resolution||Video Resolution||Check|
Canon EOS 80D SLR - Editor's Choice
1. Canon EOS 80D SLR – The Ideal Camera for Makeup Artists in 2020
The Canon EOS 80D is used by famous beauty guru Jamie Paige. It is extremely popular among other great makeup artists on YouTube platform. According to our opinion, this could be the best camera for makeup vloggers at his moment.
The Canon EOS 80D has improved and offers a lot of new features than the 70D.
First of all, the 80D offers the dual-pixel AF system which is one of the best things for YouTube videos, especially makeup tutorials.
It comes with the Dual Pixel AF technology which features a 45-points cross-type AF system. Need to mention, that the 70D only had a 19-points cross-type AF system.
This camera’s AF is faster, more accurate. You won’t find a faster AF system on other camera’s unless you are going to spend a couple or more thousands.
The Canon 80D offers a 24.2MP CMOS sensor with a DIGIC 6 image processor. This combination allows you to get a fantastic quality in a variety of lighting conditions.
- A great battery life, which is necessary for shooting a makeup tutorial. Beauty gurus know that filming a makeup video doesn’t last for a minute, it takes time and it would be frustrating if your camera dies after hours.
- Lighter version compared to the 70D, which means that you can move your camera around and maybe show the makeup in various angles and lighting conditions.
- 3″ flip-out touchscreen. Most of the time, vloggers are looking for cameras that have these type of LCD because it gives the ability to see yourself while filming a video.
- The Canon 80D has a super-fast AF system and great white balance. These two features are important for makeup tutorials as you want to show every little detail of your makeup.
2. Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR – One of the Most Popular Cameras for Makeup Artists
This is a great camera that many beauty YouTubers are choosing. For example, Zoella is using the Canon 70D for her makeup and other videos.
We have mentioned a newer version above, but the Canon 70D is still very popular among beauty gurus on YouTube. Despite the fact, that the 80D is bringing a lot of new features, the Canon EOS 70D is still very likable.
If you are looking for not a very expensive camera that can shoot great quality videos, you simply can’t go wrong with the Canon 70D.
Two of the best features of this camera is the LCD screen and great dual-pixel AF system. These features allow you to switch the angles without putting the video quality down.
The 70D has a 20MP sensor that delivers great quality videos. Also, the menu is easy to navigate, so it is suitable for beginners.
- This camera is one of the most popular choices among the makeup vloggers.
- It has an articulating and responsive LCD screen with great AF which is needed for filming makeup tutorials.
- Very easy to use and makes this camera suitable for beginners.
3. Canon Digital EOS Rebel T6 SLR – Great Budget Camera For Makeup Beginners
We need to mention, that the Rebel T6 is cheaper than an average compact camera.
This model has the same sensor as its’ predecessor EOS Rebel T5 – the DIGIC 4+. Besides, several features are similar to the EOS Rebel T5. The Canon EOS Rebel T6 has a 9-point AF system with 1 cross-type point.
The video resolution is pretty simple and great which stands out at 1080/30p. However, the quality isn’t the highest – the colors look fine but there is a lack of sharp details.
It is possible to turn the shutter button on to re-acquire focusing feature, but the camera then will spend a lot of time to hunt focus points. Considering that it is one of the cheapest consumer cameras, don’t expect superb quality. On the other hand, it has more than enough for beginners.
For beginners it is enough to practice and learn how to film a makeup tutorial on YouTube after you gain some skills, you can upgrade your equipment. The camera can record a full HD video with an 18MP sensor.
The Canon EOS Rebel T6 is mainly made of plastic which makes it lightweight. The Quick Control menu is large and easy to understand, again, perfect for beginners. For those, who don’t want to spend all of the time navigating the menu, there is an auto mode option, where your camera can adjust to the lighting and other important features to shoot a nice makeup tutorial.
- Great for beginners who don’t want to spend a lot of money but still keep the quality.
- The Canon EOS T6 camera has an 18 MP CMOS sensor and 9-point AF system which is enough for shooting a makeup tutorial.
- T6 is one of the cheapest SLR cameras that can shoot a full HD video, so the quality on your YouTube channel will be high.
4. Canon Powershot G7 X Mark II – One of the Most Popular Vlogging Cameras in General
Sure, this camera will not provide you the quality of the 5D Mark IV, but it is a great choice if you are looking for a great video quality on a budget as well.
It can shoot a great 1080/60p video which can turn out to be better than you expect it to be. A 3″ LCD touch screen is large and responsive which helps you to record a high-quality video. The G7 Mark II also has continuous shooting at 8fps which is surprisingly good considering the price.
There are manual and automatic settings that help you to get to know your camera faster and especially if you are a beginner.
Another great thing that this camera can shoot great in low light conditions. Sometimes much more expensive cameras lack this feature, but the PowerShot G7 Mark II is great in this case.
The Canon PowerShot G7 Mark II has a 20.1MP CMOS sensor with DIGIC 7 image processor. This combination allows you to shoot stunning videos in most of the lighting conditions.
- It is a great overall camera for the price.
- Records full HD videos at 1080/60p which is surprisingly good and is suitable for makeup vlogging.
- Great video shooting in low lighting conditions.
- Compact and fits perfectly in your pocket.
- This model is one of the most popular vlogging cameras among YouTubers in general.
5. Fujifilm FinePix S8600 – Compact and Budget-Friendly Camera for Makeup Vlogs
Besides, the lens is fully collapsible and makes the camera body even more compact. This camera offers a 16MP CCD sensor with an ISO sensitivity of 6400. You shouldn’t be disappointed with the video quality that this camera has to offer.
HD video can be recorded at 720/30p in cinematic widescreen 16:9 format, so your makeup tutorials are of decent quality (for a good price). With this kind of optical zoom lens, you can zoom your every little makeup detail and show it to your viewers on YouTube.
- The camera has a 16MP CCD sensor and can record an HD video at 720p resolution, pretty good for the price.
- Fujinon 36x optical zoom lenses allow you to zoom every makeup detail.
- Has Face Detection and Face Tracking AF which is important if you are shooting a makeup tutorial, you want your face to be always in the focus.
- Lens-shift image stabilization feature delivers smooth video shootings without disturb.
6. Sony a5100 – Extremely Compatible Camera with Perfect Lighting
So many people are creating beauty content on their YouTube channel, so you need to make your video quality great and professional. By taking it seriously and make your videos stand out, you need to have a camera that can shoot clear and crisp videos with great lighting.
Talking about the size, the Sony a5100 is an extremely compatible camera which means you can put it in a small purse or even a jacket pocket and be vlogging your makeup in every lighting condition.
This camera can shoot high-quality AVCHD, XAVC up to 1080p videos and provide a full cinematic makeup tutorial.
The Sony a5100 is the world’s smallest and lightest camera with 24.3 MP Exmor CMOS sensor and Fast Hybrid AF system. It does not have a 4K video recording that most of the cameras have, but it can record a full HD video which is enough for a makeup artist.
- The Sony a5100 is extremely small and lightweight, so you can carry it while you are traveling and still be shooting makeup videos.
- It has a 24.3 mp Exmor CMOS sensor with Fast Hybrid AF system which means that you can shoot a high-quality makeup tutorial.
7. Nikon COOLPIX S6900 – Budget-Friendly Camera for Starting Makeup Channel
The Nikon Coolpix S6900 camera has a vari-angle LCD screen that offers you that flexibility when you are making a video. Most of the time, you want to see yourself while shooting a video especially a makeup tutorial.
This camera also is equipped for easy self-portrait shooting which makes it perfect for makeup artists. Most of the time, makeup artists like to take selfies with their finished makeup, so the Nikon Coolpix S6900 is definitely one of the best cameras for makeup artists in 2020.
Besides, it is one of the most affordable cameras that offer high-quality full HD 1080p video shooting. It has a 12x optical zoom lens which allows you to zoom every detail of your makeup. The camera also has a 16MP CMOS sensor and NIKKOR Zoom VR lens which delivers high-quality pictures and videos.
Besides, the S6900 has a Target Finding AF that offers an instant focusing feature, it is important to have the focus while filming a makeup tutorial.
- It is affordable and easy to use the camera, which is suitable for a beginner makeup artist.
- 16 MP CMOS sensor and NIKKOR Zoom VR combination provide a full HD video shooting even though this camera is small.
- It uses a 12x optical zoom lens, so you can zoom every makeup detail on your face.
8. Panasonic VHC-V180K Camcorder – Good and Cheap Camcorder for Makeup Vlogs
Although not many YouTubers like to use camcorders for their videos, the HC-V180K provides full HD 1080p high-quality videos with 50x zoom.
This camcorder has an excellent audio quality thanks to a 2 channel zoom microphone which provides amazing sound quality.
The coolest feature that this camcorder has is 1/5.8″ BSI MOS sensor. With the backside illumination, you can get great footage in low light. Since you are going to record your makeup tutorials indoors, it is a great feature.
It comes with a fixed lens which is a plus that you don’t have to spend your money on separate lens and disadvantage that you won’t be able to upgrade it to a better lens. The Panasonic HC-V180K camcorder comes with a 5-axis Optical image stabilization feature.
- This camcorder can record a full HD 1080p video at 60fps which is great for makeup vloggers.
- The 2.7″ flip-out touchscreen makes it comfortable to take a look at yourself while filming a video.
- 5-axis optical image stabilization allows you to shoot a smooth and steady makeup tutorial.
With a detailed and great guide, also a list of the best cameras for makeup filming you can easily choose the right one for you. It can be confusing when you have to choose from so many, but there are specific features that you should search in a camera.
The Canon EOS 80D is definitely recommended and one of the best cameras for filming makeup tutorials and most of the YouTubers are using this device. It is an expensive one, but it will last you for a long time and delivers high-quality videos that you need.
If you are on a budget, try the Canon Powershot G7 Mark II, which is surprisingly good considering the cheap price.
Try a different type of cameras and in this way you are going to find the one that suits your needs the best.