In the past few years, makeup videos on YouTube have become extremely popular and can bring you a solid income and brand awareness also.
However, if you want to be a great makeup artist on YouTube, you need to think about buying the best camera for makeup filming.
If you want to be a Makeup vlogger, guru, we will cover your needs and requirements.
Table of Contents
- Our Favorite Cameras for Beauty Vloggers
- How to Choose the Best Camera for Makeup Vlogs?
- Best Cameras for YouTube Makeup Videos
- 1. Canon EOS 80D SLR – The Ideal Camera for Makeup Artists in 2023
- 2. Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR – One of the Most Popular Cameras for Makeup Artists
- 3. Canon EOS Rebel T7 – Best Entry Level Camera for Novice Makeup Vloggers
- 4. Canon EOS M50 Mark II – Perfect For Makeup Live Streams and Vlogs
- 5. Canon Digital EOS Rebel T6 SLR – Great Budget Camera For Makeup Beginners
- 6. Canon Powershot G7 X Mark II – One of the Most Popular Vlogging Cameras in General
- 7. Sony a5100 – Extremely Compatible Camera with Perfect Lighting
- 8. Nikon D3500 – Reliable and Affordable DLSR for Makeup Specialists
- 9. Olympus PEN E-PL1 – Valuable Mirrorless Camera for Beauty Vloggers
- 10. Panasonic VHC-V180K Camcorder – Good and Cheap Camcorder for Makeup Vlogs
Our Favorite Cameras for Beauty Vloggers
How to Choose the Best Camera for Makeup Vlogs?
First of all, you should find out what kind of camera type you will need. There are a lot of cameras for makeup vloggers, but simply they are split into 3 types:
- Point & Shoot cameras
- DSLR cameras
Point & Shoot cameras are not that great if you are going to be filming in low lighting and they won’t allow you to be in full control of the video that you are filming.
Also, these type of cameras doesn’t offer that high-quality shooting as a DSLR does. Unless you are using the Canon PowerShot G7 X, which costs the same as the usual DSLR does.
On the other side, camcorders have nice auto-focusing features but are not good at taking pictures, so forget about high-quality thumbnails. Basically, if you are filming with the camcorder, the viewer will have the feeling that he is watching TV.
Here’s the deal:
DSLR cameras have a lot of features that makeup artists are looking for in their YouTube channels. These types of cameras are the best for makeup and the quality is super great for both pictures and video shooting thanks to the large and high-quality sensors.
Also, you can change the lens according to your needs. As a makeup artist, you need to have a perfect white balance.
Best Cameras for YouTube Makeup Videos
|Name||Flip Screen||Optical Sensor Resolution||Video Resolution||Check|
Canon EOS 80D SLR - Editor's Choice
Canon EOS M50 Mark II - Editor's Choice
1. Canon EOS 80D SLR – The Ideal Camera for Makeup Artists in 2023
The Canon EOS 80D is used by famous beauty guru Jamie Paige. It is extremely popular among other great makeup artists on the YouTube platform. In our opinion, this could be the best camera for makeup vloggers at the moment.
The Canon EOS 80D has improved and offers a lot of new features than the 70D.
First of all, the 80D offers the dual-pixel AF system, which is one of the best things for YouTube videos, especially makeup tutorials.
It comes with the Dual Pixel AF technology, which features a 45-points cross-type AF system. Need to mention that the 70D only had a 19-points cross-type AF system.
This camera’s AF is faster, more accurate. You won’t find a faster AF system on other cameras unless you are going to spend a couple or more thousand.
The Canon 80D offers a 24.2MP CMOS sensor with a DIGIC 6 image processor. This combination allows you to get a fantastic quality in a variety of lighting conditions.
- A great battery life, which is necessary for shooting a makeup tutorial. Beauty gurus know that filming a makeup video doesn’t last for a minute, it takes time and it would be frustrating if your camera dies after hours.
- A lighter version compared to the 70D, which means that you can move your camera around and maybe show the makeup in various angles and lighting conditions.
- 3″ flip-out touchscreen. Most of the time, vloggers are looking for cameras that have this type of LCD because it gives the ability to see yourself while filming a video.
- The Canon 80D has a super-fast AF system and great white balance. These two features are important for makeup tutorials as you want to show every little detail of your makeup.
2. Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR – One of the Most Popular Cameras for Makeup Artists
This is an excellent camera that is popular among beauty YouTubers. For cosmetics and other similar videos, one of the most popular makeup and beauty vloggers Zoella uses this camera.
Although we highlighted a newer model above, the Canon 70D is still quite popular among YouTube beauty gurus. Despite the fact that the Canon EOS 70D has many new features, it remains a very appealing camera.
If you want a low-cost camera that can shoot high-quality beauty and makeup videos, you simply cannot go wrong with the Canon 70D.
Two of this camera’s standout features are the LCD screen and the superb dual-pixel AF system. You may use these to alter the angles without decreasing the video quality.
The 70D has a 20MP sensor that delivers TOP quality videos. Also, the menu is easy to navigate, so it is suitable for beginners.
- This camera is one of the most popular choices among makeup vloggers.
- It has an articulating and responsive LCD screen with great AF, which is needed for filming makeup tutorials.
- Very easy to use and makes this camera suitable for beginners.
3. Canon EOS Rebel T7 – Best Entry Level Camera for Novice Makeup Vloggers
It is fairly lightweight and portable for a DSLR camera. The camera has a DIGIC 4+ Processor (the same as the T6), which improves performance and lowers picture noise even in low light.
It features a 24.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor for capturing high-quality details and bright colors in your video footage.
Furthermore, the camera includes Wi-Fi and NFC technology that allows you to connect to your computer and effortlessly share your recordings.
It should be noted that the Canon smartphone app is required to transmit movies from your smartphone to other Canon cameras.
Unfortunately, Canon did not include the software option that links the camera through Wi-Fi to the Canon EOS utility on your laptop or computer that is Wi-Fi enabled.
When it comes to shooting your makeup videos, the camera has a variety of recording sizes and frame rates including 30fps which is the lowest recommended frame for YouTube videos.
Also, the Rebel T7 also has a wide ISO range of 100 – 6400 (H: 12800) that is comfortable for nearly any light.
Finally, the camera video quality is still not at the maximum best but for its price, it does a pretty decent job and is a step up from using your smartphone camera.
- It is a cheap yet very capable camera for any Make-up artist.
- The camera’s battery life is excellent, rated at 500 shots per charge.
- Video resolution tops out at 1080/30p assuring you of quality videos for your makeup vlog.
- The new 24MP Sensor also helps shoot high-quality photos in case you are sharing makeup still photos.
4. Canon EOS M50 Mark II – Perfect For Makeup Live Streams and Vlogs
Made with a live streaming feature with cinematic image quality, you can shoot from virtually any angle as it has a large vari-angle LCD touch screen for ease of use.
Another feature is the HDMI output port that helps connect with HDTVs. You can also turn the camera into a high-quality webcam using the EOS Webcam utility (free download).
On the other hand, the M50 Mark II offers 4k 24p/25p video resolution ensuring high-quality videos for your makeup vlogs. It has a 24.1 megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor that delivers even in low-light situations.
What about lighting?
It has an auto lighting optimizer that maintains color and minimizes blown-out areas.
For detailed quality videos, the M50 Mark II also has a DIGIC 8 processor that also improves autofocus performance.
On the flip side, the camera doesn’t have a USB charging port which is disappointing to many vloggers.
- The Mark II can shoot in 4K which in return offers high-quality videos for your makeup viewers.
- You can live stream directly to YouTube using WIFI.
- It is easy to use both Eye and Face Detection Movie Servo AF; these features add versatility and stability to keep the focus mainly on the subject.
- You can shoot in slow motion in HD 120p.
5. Canon Digital EOS Rebel T6 SLR – Great Budget Camera For Makeup Beginners
We should mention that the Rebel T6 is less costly than the average compact camera.
This model shares the same DIGIC 4+ sensor as the EOS Rebel T5. A few of functionalities are also shared with the EOS Rebel T5. The Canon EOS Rebel T6 has a 9-point autofocus system that includes 1 cross-type point.
The video resolution is basic yet outstanding, at 1080/30p. The quality, however, isn’t the finest – the colors are vibrant, but there aren’t many details.
It is possible to turn the shutter button on to re-acquire the focusing feature, but the camera then will spend a lot of time hunting focus points. Considering that it is one of the cheapest consumer cameras, don’t expect superb quality. On the other hand, it has more than enough for beginners.
The camera can record a Full HD video with an 18MP sensor and is mainly made of plastic, which makes it lightweight. The Quick Control menu is large and easy to understand, again, perfect for beginners.
For those, who don’t want to spend all of the time navigating the menu, there is an auto mode option where your camera can adjust to the lighting and other important features to shoot a nice makeup tutorial.
- Great for beginners who don’t want to spend a lot of money but still keep the quality.
- The Canon EOS T6 camera has an 18 MP CMOS sensor and a 9-point AF system, which is enough for shooting a makeup tutorial.
- T6 is one of the cheapest SLR cameras that can shoot a Full HD video, so the quality on your YouTube channel will be high.
6. Canon Powershot G7 X Mark II – One of the Most Popular Vlogging Cameras in General
Sure, this camera will not provide you with the quality of the 5D Mark IV, but it is a great choice if you are looking for great video quality on a budget as well.
It can record a fantastic 1080/60p video that may be better than you believe. A large and responsive 3′′ LCD touch screen allows you to shoot high-quality video. The G7 Mark II also has continuous shooting at an impressive 8 frames per second given the price.
There are manual and automated settings that might help you learn your camera faster, especially if you are a new YouTuber.
Another advantage of this camera is that it works brilliantly in low-light settings. This feature is occasionally lacking in much more expensive cameras, yet the PowerShot G7 Mark II shines in this area.
The Canon PowerShot G7 Mark II has a 20.1MP CMOS sensor with DIGIC 7 image processor. This combination allows you to shoot stunning videos in most lighting conditions which is very important for filming makeup vlogs.
- It is a great overall camera for the price.
- Records full HD videos at 1080/60p, which is surprisingly good and is suitable for makeup vlogging.
- Great video shooting in low lighting conditions.
- Compact and fits perfectly in your pocket.
- This model is one of the most popular vlogging cameras among YouTubers in general.
7. Sony a5100 – Extremely Compatible Camera with Perfect Lighting
By taking it seriously and making your videos stand out, you need to have a camera that can shoot clear and crisp videos with great lighting.
In terms of size, the Sony a5100 is a very adaptable and compatible camera that can fit in a tiny handbag or even a jacket pocket and record your makeup in any lighting condition.
This camera can record high-quality AVCHD, XAVC, and 1080p films, as well as provide complete cinematic makeup instruction.
With a 24.3 MP Exmor CMOS sensor and a Fast Hybrid AF technology, the Sony a5100 is one of the world’s smallest and lightest cameras.
However, it lacks the 4K video recording capability that most cameras have, but it can capture Full HD footage, which is plenty for a makeup artist.
- The Sony a5100 is extremely small and lightweight, so you can carry it while you are traveling and still be shooting makeup videos.
- It has a 24.3 mp Exmor CMOS sensor with a Fast Hybrid AF system, which means that you can shoot a high-quality makeup tutorial.
8. Nikon D3500 – Reliable and Affordable DLSR for Makeup Specialists
Looking for a reliable and easy-to-use DSLR camera for your makeup videos? Then you can think about the Nikon D3500 which is one of the most popular cameras among beauty YouTubers for a really good price.
The D3500 has a good grip and doesn’t have much weight making it easy to vlog with one hand.
For a newbie, all you need to do is turn on Auto mode and if you want to learn while shooting, all you have to do is turn on guide mode then follow the on-screen guidance. It is a massive step up if you were using mobile phone cameras.
Nikon D3500 has a built-in flash and comes with two traveling lenses that are great for video capturing and portraits.
By flipping the live view lever, just press the record button and instantly start recording Full HD videos at 1080p/60p. It has Multi-CAM 1000 Autofocus sensor that is 15x better than a typical smartphone.
Unfortunately, the camera has some deal-breakers.
For instance, it has a fixed screen, unlike the D5300 which is fully articulating and also doesn’t have a microphone port as well as no Wi-Fi connection.
With that in mind, you can still upload your videos and photos to your smartphone by using Nikon’s Snap bridge app.
- It can shoot Full HD videos (1920 x 1080p) at up to 60/50fps.
- Very easy to use making it ideal for makeup beginners.
- Bluetooth connectivity – this enables you to transfer videos and images to your smartphone.
- It has a good grip making it easy to shoot your makeup vlogs without accidentally pressing unnecessary buttons.
9. Olympus PEN E-PL1 – Valuable Mirrorless Camera for Beauty Vloggers
The camera can record HD films while also capturing stills thanks to a new ‘direct’ button. The camera can record at a resolution of 1280 x 720 HD at 30 frames per second or 6840 x 480 pixels. It’s not the best, but it’s not the worst either.
It has a live guide interface that helps to make adjustments and watch the effects live on the LCD before the image is captured.
Don’t forget the 2.7-inch Hyper Crystal LCD with a Live View function and Continuous Autofocus (C-AF) tracking system. It also connects with an HDMI cable to your TV while you use your remote to control playback functions.
The only con is that the camera doesn’t have a built-in viewfinder and even though you can buy an external one, it will limit the ability to put on a flash or an external microphone.
- The camera has great video and audio capabilities.
- Compact, making it great to carry everywhere for your makeup vlogging adventure.
- Easy to use which is perfect for makeup beginners.
- The camera can shoot in 1280 x 720 HD resolution at 30 frames per second.
10. Panasonic VHC-V180K Camcorder – Good and Cheap Camcorder for Makeup Vlogs
Although many YouTubers dislike using camcorders for their movies, the HC-V180K produces full HD 1080p footage with 50x magnification.
This camera has exceptional audio quality owing to a two-channel zoom microphone that produces incredible sound.
The most interesting aspect of this camcorder is its 1/5.8′′ BSI MOS sensor. You may capture fantastic footage in low light by using the rear illumination. It’s a terrific feature if you plan to video your makeup lessons indoors.
It comes with a fixed lens, which is both a benefit since you won’t have to spend money on a separate lens and a downside because you won’t be able to update it to a better lens. The Panasonic HC-V180K camcorder includes 5-axis optical image stabilization – which is really helpful.
- This camcorder can record a Full HD 1080p video at 60fps, which is great for makeup vloggers.
- The 2.7″ flip-out touchscreen makes it comfortable to take a look at yourself while filming a video.
- 5-axis optical image stabilization allows you to shoot a smooth and steady makeup tutorial.
With a detailed and great guide, also a list of the best cameras for makeup filming, you can easily choose the right one for you. It can be confusing when you have to choose from so many, but there are specific features that you should search for in a camera.
- The Canon EOS 80D is definitely recommended and is one of the best cameras for filming makeup tutorials and most YouTubers are using this device. It is an expensive one, but it will last you for a long time and deliver the high-quality videos that you need.
- If you are on a budget, try the Nikon D3500, which is surprisingly good considering the cheap price.
Try different types of cameras and in this way, you are going to find the one that suits your needs the best.